Estimation and Testing for Partially Nonstationary Vector Autoregressive Models with GARCH: WLS versus QMLE
Macroeconomic or financial data are often modelled with cointegration and GARCH. Noticeable examples include those studies of price discovery, in which stock prices of the same underlying asset are cointegrated and they exhibit multivariate GARCH. Modifying the asymptotic theories developed in Li, Ling and Wong (2001) and Sin and Ling (2004), this paper proposes a WLS (weighted least squares) for the parameters of an ECM (error-correction model). Apart from its computational simplicity, by construction, the consistency of WLS is insensitive to possible misspecification in conditional variance. Further, asymmetrically distributed deflated error is allowed, at the expense of more involved asymptotic distributions of the statistics. Efficiency loss relative to QMLE (quasi-maximum likelihood estimator) is discussed within the class of LABF (locally asymptotically Brownian functional) models. The insensitivity and efficiency of WLS in finite samples are examined through Monte Carlo experiments. We also apply the WLS to an empirical example of HSI (Hang Seng Index), HSIF (Hang Seng Index Futures) and TraHK (Hong Kong Tracker Fund)
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993.
"On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks,"
157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993. " On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Engle, Robert F. & Patton, Andrew J., 2004.
"Impacts of trades in an error-correction model of quote prices,"
Journal of Financial Markets,
Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Engle, Robert F & Patton, Andrew J, 2000. "Impacts of Trades in an Error-Correction Model of Quote Prices," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt6dm6093f, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991.
"A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993. "A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- Kroner, Kenneth F. & Sultan, Jahangir, 1993. "Time-Varying Distributions and Dynamic Hedging with Foreign Currency Futures," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(04), pages 535-551, December.
- Alexakis, Panayotis & Apergis, Nicholas, 1996. "ARCH effects and cointegration: Is the foreign exchange market efficient?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 687-697, May.
- Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2003.
"Asymptotic Theory For A Vector Arma-Garch Model,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(02), pages 280-310, April.
- Phillips, P C B & Durlauf, S N, 1986.
"Multiple Time Series Regression with Integrated Processes,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 473-95, August.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Steven N. Durlauf, 1985. "Multiple Time Series Regression with Integrated Processes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 768, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Jeantheau, Thierry, 1998. "Strong Consistency Of Estimators For Multivariate Arch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 70-86, February.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Tse, Y K & Tsui, Albert K C, 2002. "A Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Model with Time-Varying Correlations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 351-62, July.
- Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2001. "On Adaptive Estimation in Nonstationary ARMA Models with GARCH Errors," ISER Discussion Paper 0548, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:nasm04:476. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.