Remittances and Growth in Latin America: A Panel Unit Root and Panel Cointegration Analysis
Using recently developed panel unit root and panel cointegration tests and the Fully-Modified OLS (FMOLS) methodology, this paper estimates the impact of remittances on the economic growth of selected upper and lower income Latin American & Caribbean countries. Despite a large flow of remittances to the region, there have been relatively few empirical studies assessing the impact of remittances on growth in Latin American and the Caribbean. Panel unit root tests suggests that several of the macro variables included in the model exhibit unit roots, yet, at the same time, Pedroni's panel cointegration methodology determined that there is a cointegrating relationship among the variables in the estimated model. Moreover, FMOLS estimates suggest that remittances have a positive and significant effect on economic growth in both groups of countries. The interaction of remittances with a financial development variable revealed that these two variables act as substitutes and, moreover, that the impact of remittances is more pronounced in the presence of the financial development variable.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 8268, New Haven CT 06520-8268|
Phone: (203) 432-3576
Fax: (203) 432-5779
Web page: http://www.econ.yale.edu/ddp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marta Ruiz-Arranz & Paola Giuliano, 2005.
"Remittances, Financial Development, and Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
05/234, International Monetary Fund.
- Jesus Canas & Roberto Coronado & Pia M. Orrenius, 2007. "Explaining the increase in remittances to Mexico," Southwest Economy, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Jul, pages 3-7.
- Adams, Richard H., 2002. "Precautionary saving from different sources of income - evidence from rural Pakistan," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2761, The World Bank.
- Patrick Honohan, 2004. "Financial development, growth, and poverty: how close are the links?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3203, The World Bank.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Pedroni, Peter, 1999.
" Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 653-70, Special I.
- Peter Pedroni, 1999. "Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Department of Economics Working Papers 2000-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- David L. Hummels & Dana Rapoport & Kei-Mu Yi, 1998. "Vertical specialization and the changing nature of world trade," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jun, pages 79-99.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Samir Jahjah & Ralph Chami & Connel Fullenkamp, 2003.
"Are Immigrant Remittance Flows a Source of Capital for Development?,"
IMF Working Papers
03/189, International Monetary Fund.
- Ralph Chami & Connel Fullenkamp & Samir Jahjah, 2005. "Are Immigrant Remittance Flows a Source of Capital for Development?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 52(1), pages 55-81, April.
- Kaddour Hadri, 2000.
"Testing for stationarity in heterogeneous panel data,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 148-161.
- Kaddour Hadri, 1999. "Testing For Stationarity In Heterogeneous Panel Data," Research Papers 1999_04, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Tom Doan, . "HADRI: RATS procedure to implement Hadri test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00084, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Rioja, Felix & Valev, Neven, 2004. "Does one size fit all?: a reexamination of the finance and growth relationship," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 429-447, August.
- Lykke E. Andersen & Bent Jesper Christensen & Oscar Molina, 2005. "The Impact of Aid on Recipient Behavior: A Micro-Level Dynamic Analysis of Remittances, Schooling, Work, Consumption, Investment and Social Mobility in Nicaragua," Development Research Working Paper Series 02/2005, Institute for Advanced Development Studies.
- Pablo Acosta & Cesar Calderón & Pablo Fajnzylber & Humberto López, 2006. "Remittances and Development in Latin America," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(7), pages 957-987, 07.
- Ziesemer, Thomas, 2006.
"Worker Remittances and Growth: The Physical and Human Capital Channels,"
MERIT Working Papers
020, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Thomas H.W. Ziesemer, 2009. "Worker Remittances and Growth: The Physical and Human Capital Channels," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 229(6), pages 743-773, December.
- Acosta, Pablo & Calderon, Cesar & Fajnzylber, Pablo & Lopez, Humberto, 2007.
"What is the impact of international remittances on poverty and inequality in Latin America ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4249, The World Bank.
- Acosta, Pablo & Calderon, Cesar & Fajnzylber, Pablo & Lopez, Humberto, 2008. "What is the Impact of International Remittances on Poverty and Inequality in Latin America?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 89-114, January.
- Peter Pedroni, 2000.
"Fully Modified OLS for Heterogeneous Cointegrated Panels,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2000-03, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Tom Doan, . "PANELFM: RATS procedure to perform panel data group mean FMOLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00151, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Poonam Gupta, 2005. "Macroeconomic Determinants of Remittances; Evidence from India," IMF Working Papers 05/224, International Monetary Fund.
- Nicholas Glytsos, 2005. "“Dynamic Effects of Migrant Remittances on Growth: An Econometric Model with an Application to Mediterranean Countries”. Discussion Paper, No. 74, KEPE, Athens, 2002," Labor and Demography 0505014, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecl:yaleco:51. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.