Monetary policy, macroprudential policy and banking stability: evidence from the euro area
We analyze the impact on lending standards of short-term interest rates and macroprudential policy before the 2008 crisis, and of the provision of central bank liquidity during the crisis. Exploiting the euro area institutional setting for monetary and prudential policy and using the Bank Lending Survey, we show that in the period prior to the crisis, in an environment of low monetary policy interest rates, bank lending conditions unrelated to borrowers’ risk were softened. During the same period, we also provide some suggestive evidence of excessive risktaking for mortgages loans. At the same time, we show that the impact of low monetary policy rates on the softening of standards may be reduced by more stringent prudential policies on either bank capital or loan-to-value ratios. After the start of the 2008 crisis, we find that low monetary rates helped to soften lending conditions that were tightened because of bank capital and liquidity constraints, especially for business loans. Importantly, this softening effect is stronger for banks that borrow more long-term liquidity from the Eurosystem. Therefore, the results suggest that monetary policy rates and central bank provision of long-term liquidity complement each other in working against a possible credit crunch for firms. JEL Classification: E51, E52, E58, G01, G21, G28
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 60640 Frankfurt am Main, Germany|
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John B. Taylor, 2007.
"Housing and Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
13682, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John B. Taylor, 2007. "Housing and monetary policy," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 463-476.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2009.
"The Second Great Contraction,"
21485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "Varieties of Crises and Their Dates," Introductory Chapters, in: This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8973.
- Holmström, Bengt, 2011.
"Inside and Outside Liquidity,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262015783, March.
- Maddaloni, Angela & Peydró, José-Luis, 2010.
"Bank risk-taking, securitization, supervision and low interest rates: Evidence from the euro area and the U.S. lending standards,"
Working Paper Series
1248, European Central Bank.
- Angela Maddaloni & Jose-Luis Peydro, 2011. "Bank Risk-taking, Securitization, Supervision, and Low Interest Rates: Evidence from the Euro-area and the U.S. Lending Standards," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(6), pages 2121-2165.
- Gabriel Jimenez & Steven Ongena & Jose-Luis Peydro & Jesus Saurina, 2012. "Credit Supply and Monetary Policy: Identifying the Bank Balance-Sheet Channel with Loan Applications," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(5), pages 2301-26, August.
- Valencia, Fabián, 2014.
"Monetary policy, bank leverage, and financial stability,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 20-38.
- Fabian Valencia, 2011. "Monetary Policy, Bank Leverage, and Financial Stability," IMF Working Papers 11/244, International Monetary Fund.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2003.
"Money in a Theory of Banking,"
NBER Working Papers
10070, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 2000. "Bubbles and Crises," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(460), pages 236-55, January.
- Ciccarelli, Matteo & Peydró, José-Luis & Maddaloni, Angela, 2010.
"Trusting the bankers: a new look at the credit channel of monetary policy,"
Working Paper Series
1228, European Central Bank.
- Matteo Ciccarelli & Angela Maddaloni & Jose Luis Peydro, 2015. "Trusting the Bankers: A New Look at the Credit Channel of Monetary Policy," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 18(4), pages 979-1002, October.
- Borio, Claudio & Zhu, Haibin, 2012.
"Capital regulation, risk-taking and monetary policy: A missing link in the transmission mechanism?,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 236-251.
- Claudio Borio & Haibin Zhu, 2008. "Capital regulation, risk-taking and monetary policy: a missing link in the transmission mechanism?," BIS Working Papers 268, Bank for International Settlements.
- Laeven, Luc & Levine, Ross, 2009.
"Bank governance, regulation and risk taking,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 259-275, August.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2012.
"Illiquid Banks, Financial Stability, and Interest Rate Policy,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 120(3), pages 552 - 591.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram Rajan, 2011. "Illiquid Banks, Financial Stability, and Interest Rate Policy," NBER Working Papers 16994, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Ruckes, 2004. "Bank Competition and Credit Standards," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(4), pages 1073-1102.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jeremy C. Stein & Anil K. Kashyap, 2000. "What Do a Million Observations on Banks Say about the Transmission of Monetary Policy?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 407-428, June.
- Raghuram G. Rajan, 2005.
"Has Financial Development Made the World Riskier?,"
- Raghuram G. Rajan, 2005. "Has financial development made the world riskier?," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Aug, pages 313-369.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2009.
"The State of Macro,"
Annual Review of Economics,
Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 209-228, 05.
- Camacho, Maximo & Perez-Quiros, Gabriel & Saiz, Lorena, 2008.
"Do European business cycles look like one?,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 2165-2190, July.
- Barth,James R. & Caprio,Gerard & Levine,Ross, 2008.
"Rethinking Bank Regulation,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521709309, December.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Reinhart, Karmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. ""This time is different": panorama of eight centuries of financial crises," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 77-114, March.
- Lown, Cara & Morgan, Donald P., 2004.
"The Credit Cycle and the Business Cycle: New Findings Using the Loan Officer Opinion Survey,"
SIFR Research Report Series
27, Institute for Financial Research.
- Lown, Cara & Morgan, Donald P., 2006. "The Credit Cycle and the Business Cycle: New Findings Using the Loan Officer Opinion Survey," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(6), pages 1575-1597, September.
- Jesper Berg & Annalisa Ferrando & Gabe de Bondt & Silvia Scopel, 2005. "The bank lending survey for the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 23, European Central Bank.
- Philip Lowe & Claudio Borio, 2002. "Asset prices, financial and monetary stability: exploring the nexus," BIS Working Papers 114, Bank for International Settlements.
- Arellano, Manuel, 2003. "Panel Data Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199245291, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20131560. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.