A dynamic limit order market with fast and slow traders
We study the role of high-frequency trading in a dynamic limit order market. Being fast is valuable because it enables traders to revise outstanding limit orders upon news arrivals when interacting with slow market participants. On the one hand, the existence of fast traders can help to reduce the inefficiency that is rooted in the risk of being "picked off" after unfavourable price movements and therefore allows more gains from trade to be realized. On the other hand, slow traders face a relative loss in bargaining power which leads them to strategically submit limit orders with a lower execution probability, thereby reducing trade. Due to this negative externality, the equilibrium level of investment is always welfare-reducing. The model generates additional testable implications regarding the effects of high-frequency trading on order flow statistics. JEL Classification: G19, C72, D62
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 60640 Frankfurt am Main, Germany|
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thierry Foucault & Johan Hombert & Ioanid Roşu, 2016.
"News Trading and Speed,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 71(1), pages 335-382, 02.
- Thierry Foucault & Johan Hombert & Ioanid Rosu, 2012. "News Trading and Speed," Post-Print hal-00713377, HAL.
- Thierry Foucault & Johan Hombert & Ioanid Rosu, 2012. "News Trading and Speed," Post-Print hal-00713374, HAL.
- Thierry Foucault & Johan Hombert & Ioanid Rosu, 2012. "News Trading and Speed," Post-Print hal-00713372, HAL.
- Thierry Foucault & Johan Hombert & Ioanid Rosu, 2012. "News Trading and Speed," Post-Print hal-00713376, HAL.
- Foucault , Thierry & Hombert , Johan & Rosu, Ioanid, 2013. "News Trading and Speed," Les Cahiers de Recherche 975, HEC Paris.
- Johannes A. Skjeltorp & Elvira Sojli & Wing Wah Tham, 2011. "Sunshine trading: Flashes of trading intent at the NASDAQ," Working Paper 2011/17, Norges Bank.
- Johannes A. Skjeltorp & Elvira Sojli & Wing Wah Tham, 2012. "Sunshine Trading: Flashes of Trading Intent at the NASDAQ," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-141/IV/DSF47, Tinbergen Institute.
- Glosten, Lawrence R. & Milgrom, Paul R., 1985. "Bid, ask and transaction prices in a specialist market with heterogeneously informed traders," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 71-100, March.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Paul R. Milgrom, 1983. "Bid, Ask and Transaction Prices in a Specialist Market with Heterogeneously Informed Traders," Discussion Papers 570, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Goettler, Ronald L. & Parlour, Christine A. & Rajan, Uday, 2009. "Informed traders and limit order markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 67-87, July.
- Jean-Edouard Colliard & Thierry Foucault, 2012. "Trading Fees and Efficiency in Limit Order Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 25(11), pages 3389-3421.
- Colliard, Jean-Edouard & Foucault, Thierry, 2011. "Trading Fees and Efficiency in Limit Order Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 8395, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jean-Edouard Colliard & Thierry Foucault, 2012. "Trading Fees and Efficiency in Limit Order Markets," Post-Print halshs-01510247, HAL.
- Jean-Edouard Colliard & Thierry Foucault, 2012. "Trading Fees and Efficiency in Limit Order Markets," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" hal-00813274, HAL.
- Thierry Foucault & Jean-Edouard Colliard, 2012. "Trading fees and efficiency in limit order markets," Working Papers hal-00722602, HAL.
- Garvey, Ryan & Wu, Fei, 2010. "Speed, distance, and electronic trading: New evidence on why location matters," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 367-396, November.
- Hagströmer, Björn & Nordén, Lars, 2013. "The diversity of high-frequency traders," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 741-770.
- Álvaro Cartea & José Penalva, 2012. "Where is the Value in High Frequency Trading?," Quarterly Journal of Finance (QJF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 2(03), pages 1-46.
- Álvaro Cartea & José Penalva, 2011. "Where is the value in high frequency trading?," Working Papers 1111, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Foucault, Thierry, 1999. "Order flow composition and trading costs in a dynamic limit order market1," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 99-134, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20131526. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.