Where is the value in high frequency trading?
We analyze the impact of high frequency trading in financial markets based on a model with three types of traders: liquidity traders, market makers, and high frequency traders. Our four main findings are: i) The price impact of the liquidity trades is higher in the presence of the high frequency trader and is increasing with the size of the trade. In particular, we show that the high frequency trader reduces (increases) the prices that liquidity traders receive when selling (buying) their equity holdings. ii) Although market makers also lose revenue to the high frequency trader in every trade, they are compensated for these losses by a higher liquidity discount. iii) High frequency trading increases the volatility of prices. iv) The volume of trades doubles as the high frequency trader intermediates all trades between the liquidity traders and market makers. This additional volume is a consequence of trades which are carefully tailored for surplus extraction and are neither driven by fundamentals nor is it noise trading. In equilibrium, high frequency trading and traditional market making coexist as competition drives down the profits for new high frequency traders while the presence of high frequency traders does not drive out traditional market makers.
|Date of creation:||May 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.bde.es/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hendershott, Terrence & Jones, Charles M. & Menkveld, Albert J., 2008.
"Does algorithmic trading improve liquidity?,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2008/41, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Cespa, Giovanni & Foucault, Thierry, 2008.
"Insiders-Outsiders, Transparency and the Value of the Ticker,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6794, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cespa, Giovanni & Foucault, Thierry, 2008. "Insiders-outsiders, transparency and the value of the ticker," CFS Working Paper Series 2008/39, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Giovanni Cespa & Thierry Foucault, 2008. "Insiders-Outsiders, Transparency and the Value of the Ticker," Working Papers 628, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Thierry Foucault & Giovanni Cespa, 2011. "Insiders-Outsiders, Transparency and the Value of the Ticker," Working Papers hal-00580153, HAL.
- Foucault, Thierry & Cespa, Giovanni, 2008. "Insiders-outsiders, transparency and the value of the ticker," Les Cahiers de Recherche 892, HEC Paris.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bde:wpaper:1111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (María Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de España)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.