Bidding behaviour in the ECB’s main refinancing operations during the financial crisis
Liquidity provision through its repo auctions has been one of the main instruments of the European Central Bank (ECB) to address the recent tensions in financial markets since summer 2007. In this paper, we analyse banks’ bidding behaviour in the ECB’s main refinancing operations (MROs) during the ongoing turmoil in money and financial markets. We employ a unique data set comprising repo auctions from March 2004 to October 2008 with bidding data from 877 counterparties. We find that increased bid rates during the turmoil can be explained by, inter alia, the increased individual refinancing motive, the increased attractiveness of the ECB’s tender operations due to its collateral framework and banks’ bidding more aggressively, i.e. at higher rates to avoid being rationed at the marginal rate in times of increased liquidity uncertainty. JEL Classification: E52, D44, C33, C34
|Date of creation:||May 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 60640 Frankfurt am Main, Germany|
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-161, January.
- Välimäki, Tuomas, 2006. "Why the marginal MRO rate exceeds the ECB policy rate?," Research Discussion Papers 20/2006, Bank of Finland.
- Bartzsch, Nikolaus & Craig, Ben R. & Fecht, Falko, 2005.
"The eurosystem money market auctions: a banking perspective,"
Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies
2005,10, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Craig, Ben & Fecht, Falko, 2007. "The eurosystem money market auctions: A banking perspective," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2925-2944, September.
- Ben R. Craig & Falko Fecht, 2006. "The Eurosystem money market auctions: a banking perspective," Working Paper 0506, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Nautz, Dieter, 1998. "Banks' demand for reserves when future monetary policy is uncertain," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 161-183, June.
- Nautz, Dieter & Oechssler, Jörg, 1999.
"The repo auctions of the European Central Bank and the vanishing quota puzzle,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1999,79, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Dieter Nautz & Jörg Oechssler, 2003. "The Repo Auctions of the European Central Bank and the Vanishing Quota Puzzle," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 105(2), pages 207-220, 06.
- Dieter Nautz & Jörg Oechssler, 2001. "The Repo Auctions of the European Central Bank and the Vanishing Quota Puzzle," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse9_2001, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Giuseppe Bruno & Ernesto Maurizio Ordine & Antonio Scalia, 2005. "Banksï¿½ participation in the Eurosystem auctions and money market integration," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 562, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2007.
"Collective Risk Management in a Flight to Quality Episode,"
NBER Working Papers
12896, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2008. "Collective Risk Management in a Flight to Quality Episode," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(5), pages 2195-2230, October.
- Paul Milgrom & Robert J. Weber, 1981.
"A Theory of Auctions and Competitive Bidding,"
447R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Michael B. Gordy, 1997.
"Hedging Winner's Curse with Multiple Bids: Evidence from the Portuguese Treasury Bill Auction,"
- Michael B. Gordy, 1999. "Hedging Winner'S Curse With Multiple Bids: Evidence From The Portuguese Treasury Bill Auction," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(3), pages 448-465, August.
- Mireia Jofre-Bonet & Martin Pesendorfer, 2003.
"Estimation of a Dynamic Auction Game,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1443-1489, 09.
- Kjell G. Nyborg & Ilya A. Strebulaev, 2003.
"Multiple Unit Auctions and Short Squeezes,"
2003.27, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Fecht, Falko & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Rocholl, Jörg, 2008.
"The price of liquidity: bank characteristics and market conditions,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2008,30, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Fecht, Falko & Nyborg, Kjell G & Rocholl, Jörg, 2010. "The Price of Liquidity: Bank Characteristics and Market Conditions," CEPR Discussion Papers 7794, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Falko Fecht & Kjell G. Nyborg & Jörg Rocholl, 2009. "The Price of Liquidity: Bank Characteristics and Market Conditions," CESifo Working Paper Series 2576, CESifo Group Munich.
- Falko FECHT & Kjell G. NYBORG & Jörg ROCHOLL, 2010. "The Price of Liquidity: Bank Characteristics and Market Conditions," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 10-20, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Linzert, Tobias & Nautz, Dieter & Bindseil, Ulrich, 2004. "The longer term refinancing operations of the ECB," Working Paper Series 0359, European Central Bank.
- Linzert, Tobias & Nautz, Dieter & Breitung, Jorg, 2006. "Bidder behavior in central bank repo auctions: Evidence from the Bundesbank," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 215-230, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20091052. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.