Optimal rank-based testing for principal component
This paper provides parametric and rank-based optimal tests for eigenvectors and eigenvalues of covariance or scatter matrices in elliptical families. The parametric tests extend the Gaussian likelihood ratio tests of Anderson (1963) and their pseudo-Gaussian robustifications by Tyler (1981, 1983) and Davis (1977), with which their Gaussian versions are shown to coincide,symptotically, under Gaussian or finite fourth-order moment assumptions, respectively. Such assumptions however restrict the scope to covariance-based principal component analysis. The rank-based tests we are proposing remain valid without such assumptions. Hence, they address a much broader class of problems, where covariance matrices need not exist and principal components are associated with more general scatter matrices. Asymptotic relative efficiencies moreover show that those rank-based tests are quite powerful; when based on van der Waerden or normal scores, they even uniformly dominate the pseudo-Gaussian versions of Anderson’s procedures. The tests we are proposing thus outperform daily practice both from the point of view of validity as from the point of view of efficiency. The main methodological tool throughout is Le Cam’s theory of locally asymptotically normal experiments, in the nonstandard context, however, of a curved parametrization. The results we derive for curved experiments are of independent interest,and likely to apply in other setups.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by: ECARES|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (32 2) 650 30 75
Fax: (32 2) 650 44 75
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paindaveine, Davy, 2006. "A Chernoff-Savage result for shape:On the non-admissibility of pseudo-Gaussian methods," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(10), pages 2206-2220, November.
- Marc Hallin & Madan Lal Puri, 1994. "Aligned rank tests for linear models with autocorrelated errors," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/2045, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Hallin, Marc & Paindaveine, Davy, 2005. "Affine-invariant aligned rank tests for the multivariate general linear model with VARMA errors," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 122-163, March.
- Paindaveine, Davy, 2008. "A canonical definition of shape," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(14), pages 2240-2247, October.
- Kollo, T. & Neudecker, H., 1993. "Asymptotics of Eigenvalues and Unit-Length Eigenvectors of Sample Variance and Correlation Matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 283-300, November.
- Hallin Marc & Paindaveine Davy, 2006. "Parametric and semiparametric inference for shape: the role of the scale functional," Statistics & Risk Modeling, De Gruyter, vol. 24(3), pages 24, December.
- Yanagihara, Hirokazu & Tonda, Tetsuji & Matsumoto, Chieko, 2005. "The effects of nonnormality on asymptotic distributions of some likelihood ratio criteria for testing covariance structures under normal assumption," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 237-264, October.
- Hallin, Marc & Paindaveine, Davy, 2009. "Optimal tests for homogeneity of covariance, scale, and shape," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 422-444, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eca:wpaper:2009_013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.