Efficient R-Estimation of Principal and Common Principal Components
We propose rank-based estimators of principal components, both in the one-sample and, under the assumption of common principal components , in the m -sample cases. Those estimators are obtained via a rank-based version of Le Cam's one-step method, combined with an estimation of cross-information quantities . Under arbitrary elliptical distributions with, in the m -sample case, possibly heterogeneous radial densities, those R-estimators remain root- n consistent and asymptotically normal, while achieving asymptotic efficiency under correctly specified radial densities. Contrary to their traditional counterparts computed from empirical covariances, they do not require any moment conditions. When based on Gaussian score functions, in the one-sample case, they uniformly dominate their classical competitors in the Pitman sense. Their AREs with respect to other robust procedures are quite high-up to 30, in the Gaussian case, with respect to minimum covariance determinant estimators. Their finite-sample performances are investigated via a Monte Carlo study.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Apr 2013|
|Publication status:||Published by:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. F.D., Roosevelt, 39, 1050 Bruxelles|
Phone: (32 2) 650 30 75
Fax: (32 2) 650 44 75
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boente, Graciela & Pires, Ana M. & Rodrigues, Isabel M., 2006. "General projection-pursuit estimators for the common principal components model: influence functions and Monte Carlo study," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 124-147, January.
- Thomas P. Hettmansperger, 2002. "A practical affine equivariant multivariate median," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(4), pages 851-860, December.
- Paindaveine, Davy, 2006. "A Chernoff-Savage result for shape:On the non-admissibility of pseudo-Gaussian methods," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(10), pages 2206-2220, November.
- Paindaveine, Davy, 2008. "A canonical definition of shape," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(14), pages 2240-2247, October.
- Boente, Graciela & Rodriguez, Daniela & Sued, Mariela, 2010. "Inference under functional proportional and common principal component models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 464-475, February.
- Marc Hallin & Davy Paindaveine & Thomas Verdebout, 2011. "Optimal Rank-Based Tests for Common Principal Components," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2011-032, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marc Hallin & Davy Paindaveine & Thomas Verdebout, 2009. "Optimal rank-based testing for principal component," Working Papers ECARES 2009_013, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Cator, Eric A. & Lopuhaä, Hendrik P., 2010. "Asymptotic expansion of the minimum covariance determinant estimators," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(10), pages 2372-2388, November.
- Croux, Christophe & Ruiz-Gazen, Anne, 2005. "High breakdown estimators for principal components: the projection-pursuit approach revisited," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 206-226, July.
- Graciela Boente, 2002. "Influence functions and outlier detection under the common principal components model: A robust approach," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(4), pages 861-875, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eca:wpaper:2013/142830. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.