Semiparametrically efficient inference based on signs and ranks for median-restricted models
Since the pioneering work of Koenker and Bassett, median-restricted models have attracted considerable interest. Attention in these models, so far, has focused on least absolute deviation (auto-)regression quantile estimation and the corresponding sign tests. These methods use a pseudolikelihood that is based on a double-exponential reference density and enjoy quite attractive properties of root "n" consistency (for estimators) and distribution freeness (for tests). The paper extends these results to general, i.e. not necessarily double-exponential, reference densities. Using residual signs and ranks (not "signed ranks") and a general reference density "f", we construct estimators that remain root "n" consistent, irrespective of the true underlying density "g" (i.e. also for "g" /="f"). However, instead of reaching semiparametric efficiency bounds under double-exponential "g", they reach these bounds when "g" coincides with the chosen reference density "f". Moreover, we show that choosing reference densities other than the double-exponential in applications can lead to sizable gains in efficiency. The particular case of median regression is treated in detail; extensions to general quantile regression, heteroscedastic errors and time series models are briefly described. The performance of the method is also assessed by simulation and illustrated on financial data. Copyright (c) 2008 The Authors.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 70 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/journal/rssbEmail:
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://ordering.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/subs.asp?ref=1467-9868&doi=10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9868|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newey, Whitney K, 1990. "Semiparametric Efficiency Bounds," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(2), pages 99-135, April-Jun.
- Sherman, Robert P, 1993. "The Limiting Distribution of the Maximum Rank Correlation Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 123-37, January.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Hallin, M. & Puri, L.M., 1992.
"Aligned Rank tests for Linear Models with Autocorrelated Error Terms,"
9202, Universite Libre de Bruxelles - C.E.M.E..
- Hallin, M. & Puri, M. L., 1994. "Aligned Rank Tests for Linear Models with Autocorrelated Error Terms," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 175-237, August.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-74145 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marc Hallin & Bas Werker, 2003.
"Semiparametric efficiency, distribution-freeness, and invariance,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/2119, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Hallin, M. & Werker, B.J.M., 2003. "Semiparametric efficiency, distribution-freeness and invariance," Other publications TiSEM fe20db00-786a-4261-9999-6, School of Economics and Management.
- Jeganathan, P., 1995. "Some Aspects of Asymptotic Theory with Applications to Time Series Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(05), pages 818-887, October.
- Zhou, Yong & Liang, Hua, 2000. "Asymptotic Normality for L1 Norm Kernel Estimator of Conditional Median under [alpha]-Mixing Dependence," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 136-154, April.
- Drost, F.C. & Klaassen, C.A.J. & Werker, B.J.M., 1997. "Adaptive estimation in time-series models," Other publications TiSEM aa253902-af93-4e1e-b974-2, School of Economics and Management.
- Swensen, Anders Rygh, 1985. "The asymptotic distribution of the likelihood ratio for autoregressive time series with a regression trend," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 54-70, February.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-117062 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marc Hallin & Madan Lal Puri, 1994. "Aligned rank tests for linear models with autocorrelated errors," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/2045, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:jorssb:v:70:y:2008:i:2:p:389-412. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.