Investment and Capital Flows : Implications of the ASEAN Economic Community
One of the objectives of the evolving ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) is to promote free investment flows and freer capital flows. By deepening economic integration among them, ASEAN Member Countries can establish a region-wide production base that will attract more foreign direct investment and strengthen the existing FDI-Trade nexus in East Asia. This will increase the opportunities for domestic firms to participate in regional and global production networks. The principal investment cooperation program of the AEC has been the ASEAN Investment Area which is being expanded to the ASEAN Comprehensive Investment Agreement (ACIA). The chapter delineates measures to make the ACIA more effective, examples of which are adoption of a collective approach and common time frame of trade and investment liberalization; and transferring mode 3 of services (commercial presence) from the ASEAN Framework Agreement on Services to the ACIA. Meanwhile, because of the risks that underlie movement of capital flows, it is recommended that regional financial integration give way to regional financial cooperation. The latter can be an important mechanism to accelerate the development of national financial systems, particularly through a more effective policy dialogue and surveillance process. Since greater global financial integration is a desirable long- term goal, regional financial cooperation can also be geared towards advocating for reform of the international financial architecture and crafting region-wide tools to manage capital flows. These will reduce the risks associated with financial integration. With regard to the issue of optimal sequencing in the process of capital account liberalization, the development of national financial systems remains to be an important component and prerequisite.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sid Ahmed Abdelkader, 1993. "Ronald I. McKinnon, The Order of Economic Liberalization : Financial Control in the Transition to a Market Economy," Revue Tiers Monde, Programme National Persée, vol. 34(136), pages 946-946.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Ernesto H. Stein & Christian Daude, 2003.
"Regional Integration and the Location of FDI,"
Research Department Publications
4343, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Stefano Schiavo, 2008.
"Financial Integration, GDP Correlation and the Endogeneity of Optimum Currency Areas,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 75(297), pages 168-189, 02.
- Stefano Schiavo, 2008. "Financial Integration, GDP Correlation and the Endogeneity of Optimum Currency Areas," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/9857, Sciences Po.
- Stefano Schiavo, 2005. "Financial integration, GDP correlation and the endogeneity of optimum currency areas," Working Papers 25/2005, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Medvedev, Denis, 2006. "Beyond trade : the impact of preferential trade agreements on foreign direct investment inflows," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4065, The World Bank.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1994.
"The capital inflows problem: Concepts and issues,"
13902, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1993.
"El problema de la afluencia de capital: Conceptos y temas
[The Capital Inflows Problem: Concepts and Issues]," MPRA Paper 13682, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1993. "El problema de la afluencia de capital: Conceptos y temas
- Waldkirch, Andreas, 2008.
"The Effects of Foreign Direct Investment in Mexico since NAFTA,"
7975, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andreas Waldkirch, 2010. "The Effects of Foreign Direct Investment in Mexico since NAFTA," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(5), pages 710-745, 05.
- Takatoshi Ito & Andrew K. Rose, 2005. "International Trade in East Asia, NBER-East Asia Seminar on Economics, Volume 14," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number ito_05-1, July.
- Kim, Soyoung & Lee, Jong-Wha & Shin, Kwanho, 2006.
"Regional and Global Financial Integration in East Asia,"
695, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Soyoung Kim & Jong-Wha Lee & Kwanho Shin, 2006. "Regional and Global Financial Integration in East Asia," Discussion Paper Series 0602, Institute of Economic Research, Korea University.
- Kei-Mu Yi, 2003.
"Can Vertical Specialization Explain the Growth of World Trade?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(1), pages 52-102, February.
- Kei-Mu Yi, 2000. "Can vertical specialization explain the growth of world trade?," Staff Reports 96, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Shatz, Howard J. & Venables, Anthony J., 2000. "The geography of international investment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2338, The World Bank.
- Paul Burkett & Richard Lotspeich, 1993. "Review Article: Financial Liberalization, Development, and Marketization: A Review of McKinnon's The Order of Economic Liberalization: Financial Control in the Transition to a Market Economy (1991)," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(1), pages 59-84, April.
- Eswar S. Prasad & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2008.
"A Pragmatic Approach to Capital Account Liberalization,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 149-72, Summer.
- Prasad, Eswar & Rajan, Raghuram G., 2008. "A Pragmatic Approach to Capital Account Liberalization," IZA Discussion Papers 3475, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eswar S. Prasad & Raghuram Rajan, 2008. "A Pragmatic Approach to Capital Account Liberalization," NBER Working Papers 14051, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitsuyo Ando & Fukinari Kimura, 2003.
"The Formation of International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia,"
NBER Working Papers
10167, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitsuyo Ando & Fukunari Kimura, 2005. "The Formation of International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia," NBER Chapters, in: International Trade in East Asia, NBER-East Asia Seminar on Economics, Volume 14, pages 177-216 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2005.
"The Determinants of Intra-Firm Trade: In Search form Export-Import Magnification Effects,"
Kiel Working Papers
1247, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2005. "The Determinants of Intrafirm Trade: In Search for Export-Import Magnification Effects," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 141(4), pages 648-669, December.
- Egger, Peter & Pfaffermayr, Michael, 2005. "The determinants of intra-firm trade: in search for export-import magnification effects," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2005,12, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Sven Arndt, 2002. "Production Sharing and Regional Integration," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2002-10, Claremont Colleges.
- repec:ver:wpaper:25 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:macroe:22949. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.