Analysis of the Impact of Changes in the Prices of Rice and Fuel on Poverty in the Philippines
The study aims to assess the impact of rising prices of rice and fuel on poverty in the Philippines. In particular, the variations in the potential effects among different group of households were analyzed using household level data. Results of the study confirm that the impact of increasing prices of rice and fuel vary across different groups of households depending on the sector of employment, level of urbanity, income group and geographical location. In fact, there are losers and gainers from the recent increases in the prices of rice and fuel. In response to higher prices, households adopted different coping mechanisms, some of which are damaging and counter-productive in the medium- and long-run. The Philippine government has also responded by implementing programs that would mitigate the negative impact of soaring prices. It is recommended that household level data for all households in the community, such as those being generated by the community-based monitoring system (CBMS) being implemented by local government units, be used to identify eligible beneficiaries through some proxy means test model. This would help reduce leakage of program benefits to the non-poor as well as ensure that the poor benefit from these programs.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200|
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Budd, John W, 1993. "Changing Food Prices and Rural Welfare: A Nonparametric Examination of the Cote d'Ivoire," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(3), pages 587-603, April.
- Intal, Ponciano Jr. S. & Garcia, Marissa C., 2005.
"Rice and Philippine Politics,"
DP 2005-13, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Intal, Ponciano Jr. S. & Garcia, Marissa C., 2008. "Rice and Philippine Politics," Research Paper Series RPS 2008-01, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Ponciano S. Intal Jr. & Marissa C. Garcia, 2005. "Rice and Philippine Politics," Development Economics Working Papers 22637, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Christopher B. Barrett & Paul A. Dorosh, 1996. "Farmers' Welfare and Changing Food Prices: Nonparametric Evidence from Rice in Madagascar," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 656-669.
- Minot, Nicholas & Goletti, Francesco, 2000. "Rice market liberalization and poverty in Viet Nam:," Research reports 114, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:develo:22687. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.