A Mapping of Labor Mobility Costs in the Developing World
Estimates of labor mobility costs are needed to assess the responses of employment and wages to a trade shock when factor adjustment is costly. Available methods to estimate those costs rely on panel data, which are seldom available in developing countries. In this paper, we propose a method to estimate mobility costs using data that is more easily obtainable worldwide. Our estimator matches observed employment flows with those flows predicted by a model of costly labor adjustment. We estimate a mapping of labor mobility costs for the developing world and we use those estimates to explore the response of labor markets (wages and employment) to trade policy.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 21- 1466
Web page: http://cedlas.econo.unlp.edu.ar/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gueorgui Kambourov, 2009. "Labour Market Regulations and the Sectoral Reallocation of Workers: The Case of Trade Reforms," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 76(4), pages 1321-1358.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou & Pavcnik, Nina, 2003.
"Trade, Wages and the Political Economy of Trade Protection: Evidence from the Colombian Trade Reforms,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3877, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou & Pavcnik, Nina, 2005. "Trade, wages, and the political economy of trade protection: evidence from the Colombian trade reforms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 75-105, May.
- Naércio Aquino Menezes-Filho & Marc-Andreas Muendler, 2011.
"Labor Reallocation in Response to Trade Reform,"
NBER Working Papers
17372, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Naércio Aquino Menezes Filho & Marc-Andreas Muendler, 2007. "Labor Reallocation in Response to Trade Reform," CESifo Working Paper Series 1936, CESifo Group Munich.
- Muendler, Marc-Andreas, 2007. "Labor Reallocation in Response to Trade Reform," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt3cm38535, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- McFadden, Daniel, 1989.
"A Method of Simulated Moments for Estimation of Discrete Response Models without Numerical Integration,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 995-1026, September.
- Daniel McFadden, 1987. "A Method of Simulated Moments for Estimation of Discrete Response Models Without Numerical Integration," Working papers 464, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Erhan Artuç & Shubham Chaudhuri & John McLaren, 2007.
"Delay and Dynamics in Labor Market Adjustment: Simulation Results,"
Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers
0703, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Artuç, Erhan & Chaudhuri, Shubham & McLaren, John, 2008. "Delay and dynamics in labor market adjustment: Simulation results," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 1-13, May.
- Shubham Chaudhuri & Erhan Artuç & John McLaren, 2003. "Delay and dynamics in labor market adjustment: Simulation results," Discussion Papers 0304-07, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dls:wpaper:0146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Pacheco)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.