The Impact of Income Taxation on the Ratio between Reservation and Market Wages and the Incentives for Labour Supply
This paper extends previous research about the determinants of reservation wages by analysing the effect of progressive income taxation on the ratio between reservation and net market wages. Based on micro data for Germany (SOEP) we show that joint income taxation in Germany which discriminates by marital status, has a strong and highly significant impact on the reservation/market wage ratio. Relative to single filers, this leads to strong negative labour supply incentives for secondary earners and to positive incentives for first earners in married couples.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Mohrenstraße 58, D-10117 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eckstein, Zvi & van den Berg, Gerard J, 2004.
"Empirical Labour Search: A Survey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4199, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Viktor Steiner & Katharina Wrohlich, 2004.
"Household Taxation, Income Splitting and Labor Supply Incentives – A Microsimulation Study for Germany,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 50(3), pages 541-568.
- Viktor Steiner & Katharina Wrohlich, 2004. "Household Taxation, Income Splitting and Labor Supply Incentives: A Microsimulation Study for Germany," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 421, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Uhlendorff, Arne, 2006.
"From No Pay to Low Pay and Back Again? A Multi-State Model of Low Pay Dynamics,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2482, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arne Uhlendorff, 2006. "From No Pay to Low Pay and Back Again?: A Multi-State Model of Low Pay Dynamics," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 648, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Heckman, James J, 1974. "Shadow Prices, Market Wages, and Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(4), pages 679-694, July.
- Prasad, Eswar, 2003.
"What Determines the Reservation Wages of Unemployed Workers? New Evidence from German Micro Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
694, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eswar S Prasad, 2003. "What Determines the Reservation Wages of Unemployed Workers? New Evidence From German Micro Data," IMF Working Papers 03/4, International Monetary Fund.
- Hogan, Vincent, 2004.
"Wage aspirations and unemployment persistence,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(8), pages 1623-1643, November.
- Eckstein, Zvi & Mortensen, Dale T., 2006. "Labor search," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 807-810, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp670. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.