The impact of income taxation on the ratio between reservation and market wages and the incentives for labour supply
This article extends previous research about the determinants of reservation wages by analysing the effect of progressive income taxation on the ratio between reservation and net market wages. Based on micro data for Germany Socio-Economic-Panel (SOEP) we show that joint income taxation in Germany which discriminates by marital status, has a strong and highly significant impact on the reservation/market wage ratio. Relative to single filers, this leads to strong negative labour supply incentives for secondary earners and to positive incentives for first earners in married couples.
Volume (Year): 16 (2009)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hogan, Vincent, 2004.
"Wage aspirations and unemployment persistence,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(8), pages 1623-1643, November.
- Arne Uhlendorff, 2006.
"From No Pay to Low Pay and Back Again?: A Multi-State Model of Low Pay Dynamics,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
648, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Uhlendorff, Arne, 2006. "From No Pay to Low Pay and Back Again? A Multi-State Model of Low Pay Dynamics," IZA Discussion Papers 2482, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eckstein, Zvi & Mortensen, Dale T., 2006. "Labor search," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 807-810, May.
- Eckstein, Zvi & van den Berg, Gerard J., 2007.
"Empirical labor search: A survey,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 531-564, February.
- Eswar Prasad, 2003.
"What Determines the Reservation Wages of Unemployed Workers? New Evidence From German Micro Data,"
IMF Working Papers
03/4, International Monetary Fund.
- Prasad, Eswar, 2003. "What Determines the Reservation Wages of Unemployed Workers? New Evidence from German Micro Data," IZA Discussion Papers 694, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Heckman, James J, 1974. "Shadow Prices, Market Wages, and Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(4), pages 679-94, July.
- Viktor Steiner & Katharina Wrohlich, 2004.
"Household Taxation, Income Splitting and Labor Supply Incentives: A Microsimulation Study for Germany,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
421, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Viktor Steiner & Katharina Wrohlich, 2004. "Household Taxation, Income Splitting and Labor Supply Incentives – A Microsimulation Study for Germany," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 50(3), pages 541-568.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:16:y:2009:i:9:p:877-883. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.