The Attitudes towards the Euro: An Empirical Study Based on the German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP)
This paper investigates the attitudes towards the Euro and their changes over time in Germany by using longitudinal micro data from the German Socio Economic Panel Study (SOEP). We observe that a large part of the German population was worried about the new currency before its implementation. Individual changes of worries can be explained by theories of self-perception and cognitive dissonance. According to these theories, concerns should diminish after the Euro notes and coins are distributed. In contrast, the theory of reactance predicts an increase, while the theories of attitude changes as learning processes offer both its increase and decrease. The latter seems to be the most suitable explanation for the development of concerns about the Euro. We discover that problems with the handling of the new money and the time of questioning are strong predictors. The time pattern goes hand in hand with the time of press coverage on price rises. As worries are connected with problems in handling the new money, future member states of the European Monetary Union should prepare their population in a better manner than the existing member states did.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Mohrenstraße 58, D-10117 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meier, Katja & Kirchler, Erich, 1998. "Social representations of the euro in Austria," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 755-774, December.
- Luna-Arocas, Roberto & Guzman, Gustavo & Quintanilla, Ismael & Farhangmehr, Minoo, 2001. "The Euro and European identity: The Spanish and Portuguese case," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 441-460, August.
- Muller-Peters, Anke & Pepermans, Roland & Kiell, Guido & Battaglia, Nicole & Beckmann, Suzanne & Burgoyne, Carole & Farhangmehr, Minoo & Guzman, Gustavo & Kirchler, Erich & Koenen, Cordula, 1998. "Explaining attitudes towards the euro: Design of a cross-national study," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 663-680, December.
- van Everdingen, Yvonne M. & van Raaij, W. Fred, 1998. "The Dutch people and the euro: A structural equations analysis relating national identity and economic expectations to attitude towards the euro," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 721-740, December.
- Meier-Pesti, Katja & Kirchler, Erich, 2003. "Attitudes towards the Euro by national identity and relative national status," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 293-299, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.