Health Care Reform and the Number of Doctor Visits - An Econometric Analysis
The Paper evaluates the German health care reform of 1997, using the individual number of doctor visits as outcome measure. A new econometric model, the Probit-Poisson-log-normal model with correlated errors, describes the data better than existing count data models. Moreover, it has an attractive structural interpretation, as it allows the reforms to have a different effect at different parts of the distribution. The overall effect of the reform was a 10% reduction in the number of doctor visits. The effect was much larger in the lower part of the distribution than in the upper part.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jose A. F. Machado & J. M. C. Santos Silva, 2002.
"Quantiles for counts,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP22/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Deb, Partha & Trivedi, Pravin K., 2002. "The structure of demand for health care: latent class versus two-part models," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 601-625, July.
- Vuong, Quang H, 1989. "Likelihood Ratio Tests for Model Selection and Non-nested Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 307-33, March.
- Joao M.C. Santos Silva & Frank Windmeijer, 1999.
"Two-part multiple spell models for health care demand,"
IFS Working Papers
W99/02, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Santos Silva, Joao M. C. & Windmeijer, Frank, 2001. "Two-part multiple spell models for health care demand," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 67-89, August.
- Santos Silva, J. M. C., 1997. "Unobservables in count data models for on-site samples," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 217-220, July.
- Mullahy, John, 1986. "Specification and testing of some modified count data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 341-365, December.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-55, March-Apr.
This item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:3021. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.