Warranties, Durability, and Maintenance: Two Sided Moral Hazard in a Continuous-Time Model
We consider the provision of an optimal warranty in a continuous-time model with two-sided moral hazard. The optimal warranty must balance the producer's durability incentive and the buyer's maintenance incentive. Too little warranty protection gives the producer too much incentive to produce low durability, while too much warranty protection gives the consumer too much incentive to neglect maintenance. The derived optimal warranty is a "block warranty" that is high for an initial block of time and zero thereafter. The first-best would be available under a very high warranty for a very short time interval, except for the incentive this would create for the consumer to abuse the product to collect the warranty.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1989|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Review of Economic Studies (1993), 60: 575-597|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Spence, A Michael, 1977. "Consumer Misperceptions, Product Failure and Producer Liability," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 561-72, October.
- Russell Cooper & Thomas W. Ross, 1985.
"Product Warranties and Double Moral Hazard,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(1), pages 103-113, Spring.
- Emons, Winand, 1988. "Warranties, moral hazard, and the lemons problem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 16-33, October.
- Theodore Groves, 1974. "Information, Incentives and the Internalization of Production Externalities," Discussion Papers 87, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Russell Cooper & Thomas W. Ross, 1988. "An Intertemporal Model of Warranties," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(1), pages 72-86, February.
- Grossman, Sanford J, 1981. "The Informational Role of Warranties and Private Disclosure about Product Quality," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(3), pages 461-83, December.
- Mann, D.P. & Wissink, J.P., 1989. "Hidden Actions And Hidden Characteristics In Warranty Markets," Department of Economics Working Papers 133, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Nancy A. Lutz, 1989. "Warranties as Signals under Consumer Moral Hazard," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 20(2), pages 239-255, Summer.
- Heal, Geoffrey, 1977. "Guarantees and Risk-Sharing," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 549-60, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwl:cwldpp:922. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.