Why Is Housing Finance Still Stuck in Such a Primitive Stage?
The institutions for financing owner-occupied housing have not progressed as they should, and the financial innovation that has followed the financial crisis of 2007-9 has not been focused on improving the risk management of individual homeowners. This paper lists a number of barriers to housing finance innovation, and in light of these barriers, the problems of some major innovations of the past and future: self-amortizing mortgages, price-level adjusted mortgages (PLAMs), shared appreciation mortgages (SAMs), housing partnerships, and continuous workout mortgages (CWMs).
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Publication status:||Published in American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings (May 2014), 104(5): 73-76|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Todd Sinai & Nicholas Souleles, 2013.
"Can Owning a Home Hedge the Risk of Moving?,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy,
American Economic Association, vol. 5(2), pages 282-312, May.
- Todd M. Sinai & Nicholas S. Souleles, 2009. "Can Owning a Home Hedge the Risk of Moving?," NBER Working Papers 15462, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Caplin & Sewin Chan & Charles Freeman & Joseph Tracy, 1997. "Housing Partnerships: A New Approach to a Market at a Crossroads," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262032430, July.
- Henderson, J Vernon & Ioannides, Yannis M, 1983. "A Model of Housing Tenure Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 98-113, March.
- F Javier Mato Diaz, 2012. "Poor Economics. A Radical Rethinking of the Way to Fight Global Poverty," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan;European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (EADI), vol. 24(5), pages 832-834, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)