Why Is Housing Finance Still Stuck in Such a Primitive Stage?
The institutions for financing owner-occupied housing have not progressed as they should, and the financial innovation that has followed the financial crisis of 2007-2009 has not been focused on improving the risk management of individual homeowners. This paper lists a number of barriers to housing finance innovation, and in light of these barriers, the problems of some major innovations of the past and future: self-amortizing mortgages, price-level adjusted mortgages (PLAMs), shared appreciation mortgages (SAMs), housing partnerships, and continuous workout mortgages (CWMs).
Volume (Year): 104 (2014)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.aeaweb.org/aer/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.aeaweb.org/subscribe.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Todd Sinai & Nicholas Souleles, 2013.
"Can Owning a Home Hedge the Risk of Moving?,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy,
American Economic Association, vol. 5(2), pages 282-312, May.
- Todd M. Sinai & Nicholas S. Souleles, 2009. "Can Owning a Home Hedge the Risk of Moving?," NBER Working Papers 15462, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Caplin & Sewin Chan & Charles Freeman & Joseph Tracy, 1997. "Housing Partnerships: A New Approach to a Market at a Crossroads," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262032430, July.
- F Javier Mato Diaz, 2012. "Poor Economics. A Radical Rethinking of the Way to Fight Global Poverty," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan;European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (EADI), vol. 24(5), pages 832-834, December.
- Henderson, J Vernon & Ioannides, Yannis M, 1983. "A Model of Housing Tenure Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 98-113, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)