A Consumable Money. An Elementary Discussion of Commodity Money, Fiat Money and Credit: Part I
In this paper we present a series of models, all within the context of a simple two-good economy, which bring out the distinctions among the different types of money and financial institutions. The models emphasize the physical properties of the economic goods, moneys, and trading systems. Part 1 covers models in which the money is a consumable storable; the economies in Part 2 use durable money, fiat money, or credit. Under this framework we are able to successfully contrast the role of private money lenders, banks, bilateral credit systems, and credit clearinghouses. We are also able to model the importance of the bankruptcy or default penalty in supporting the use of fiat.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in in IFCAI Journal of Monetary Economics (2005), 3(1): 6–42|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric Smith & Martin Shubik, 2005.
"Strategic freedom, constraint, and symmetry in one-period markets with cash and credit payment,"
Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 513-551, 04.
- Martin Shubik & Eric Smith, 2003. "Strategic Freedom, Constraint, and Symmetry in One-period Markets with Cash and Credit Payment," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1420, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Martin Shubik & David Eric Smith, 2004. "Strategic Freedom, Constraint, and Symmetry in One-period Markets with Cash and Credit Payment," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm379, Yale School of Management.
- Shapley, Lloyd S & Shubik, Martin, 1977. "Trade Using One Commodity as a Means of Payment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(5), pages 937-68, October.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos & Martin Shubik, 2003.
"Is gold an efficient store of value?,"
Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 767-782, 06.
- Martin Shubik, 2000.
"The Theory of Money,"
00-03-021, Santa Fe Institute.
- Magill, M. & Quinzii, M., 1988.
"Real Effects Of Money In General Equilibrium,"
8826, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Dubey, Pradeep & Mas-Colell, Andreau & Shubik, Martin, 1980. "Efficiency properties of strategies market games: An axiomatic approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 339-362, April.
- Dubey, Pradeep & Sahi, Siddharta & Shubik, Martin, 1993.
"Repeated trade and the velocity of money,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 125-137.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwl:cwldpp:1455. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.