European cooperative R&D and firm performance
The goal of this paper is to assess the impact on the performance of firms that participate in Research Joint Ventures (RJVs) funded by the Fifth European Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development (EU-FP5). A special emphasis is made on the User-friendly Information Society (IST) programme, one of the most important thematic programmes of the EU-FP5. We use the funding available to the firms as an instrumental variable to account for self-selection and estimate the Local Average Treatment Effect (LATE) of participation by considering labor productivity and profit margin as performance measures. Our results show a large and positive impact of participation on the labor productivity of the firms, whereas the effect on profit margin is weaker. When taking into account the size of the RJV, we find that the positive impact on labor productivity comes mainly from participation in large projects and that participation in smaller RJVs has a negative effect on the profit margin
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34-91 6249594
Fax: +34-91 6249329
Web page: http://www.eco.uc3m.es
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hernán, Roberto & Marín Uribe, Pedro Luis & Siotis, Georges, 2000.
"An Empirical Evaluation Of The Determinants Of Research Joint Venture Formation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2442, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roberto Hern·n & Pedro L. MarÌn & Georges Siotis, 2003. "An empirical evaluation of the determinants of Research Joint Venture Formation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 75-89, 03.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Jarle Møen, 1999.
"From Growth Theory to Technology Policy - Coordination Problems in Theory and Practice,"
Nordic Journal of Political Economy,
Nordic Journal of Political Economy, vol. 25, pages 53-74.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Jarle Møen, 1998. "From Growth Theory to Technology Policy – Coordination Problems in Theory and Practice," Discussion Papers 219, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Klette, T.J. & Moen, J., 1998. "From Growth Theory to Technology Policy -Coordination Problems in Theory and Practice," Papers 20/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998.
"Research, Innovation And Productivity: An Econometric Analysis At The Firm Level,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 115-158.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation, and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," NBER Working Papers 6696, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruno Crépon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation and Productivity : An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," Working Papers 98-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Ralph Siebert & Mihkel M. Tombak, 2007. "Why Firms Form (or do not Form) RJVS," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(522), pages 1122-1144, 07.
- Ralph Siebert, 1996. "The Impact of Research Joint Ventures on Firm Performance: An Empirical Assessment," CIG Working Papers FS IV 96-03, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Moen, Jarle & Griliches, Zvi, 2000. "Do subsidies to commercial R&D reduce market failures? Microeconometric evaluation studies1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 471-495, April.
- Marin, Pedro L. & Siotis, Georges, 2008. "Public policies towards Research Joint Venture: Institutional design and participants' characteristics," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6-7), pages 1057-1065, July.
- Dekker, Ronald & kleinknecht, A.H., 2008. "The EU Framework Programs: Are they worth doing?," MPRA Paper 8503, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Barajas, A & Huergo, E & Moreno, L, 2009. "Measuring the impact of international R&D cooperation: the case of Spanish firms participating in the EU Framework Programme," MPRA Paper 23610, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michele Cincera & Lieselot Kempen & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Reinhilde Veugelers & Carolina Villegas Sanchez, 2003. "Productivity growth, R&D and the rôle of international collaborative agreements: some évidence for Belgian manufacturing companies," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 46(3), pages 107-140.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:werepe:we1207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.