Cost-benefit Analysis and Rates of Return of Development Projects: An International Comparison
No abstract is available for this item.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||In this paper we analyse data on the rates of return of investment projects sponsored by three international institutions: the European Union, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, the World Bank. The focus of the paper is on the evaluation of the variability of ex-ante economic rates of return, of financial rates of return and ex-post or re-estimated economic rates of return. We propose a framework of analysis of rates of return variations across projects, sectors, financing institutions, of the wedge between economic and financial, and of the gap between ex-ante and ex-post returns. In principle the same framework could be used for comparing rates of return variability of development projects across countries, time of approval or exit, or other relevant sampling criterion. We discover a pattern of variations across sectors. And we find that cost-benefit analysis generates larger variability of rates of return than financial analysis.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 02 503 16486
Fax: +39 02 503 16475
Web page: http://www.dagliano.unimi.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521597630 is not listed on IDEAS
- Isham, Jonathan & Kaufmann,Daniel, 1995.
"The forgotten rationale for policy reform : the productivity of investment projects,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1549, The World Bank.
- Jonathan Isham & Daniel Kaufmann, 1999. "The Forgotten Rationale For Policy Reform: The Productivity Of Investment Projects," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(1), pages 149-184, February.
- Gramlich, Edward M, 1994. "Infrastructure Investment: A Review Essay," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1176-96, September.
- Massimo Florio, 1997. "The economic rate of return of infrastructures and regional policy in the European Union," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(1), pages 39-64, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:csl:devewp:182. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chiara Elli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.