Privatization in Italy: an analysis of factors productivity and technical efficiency
This work aims at investigating the changes in technical efficiency following the privatization of 39 Italian medium-sized firms operating in competitive sectors. Using Data Envelopment Analysis over a period of 10 years we highlight that, apart from acquisitions by foreign groups, there have not been significant changes in the levels of total efficiency. The only statistically significant change concerns the strong recovery in labour productivity that showed to be continuous even during the period undergoing public control. The results, in contrast with the main theoretical predictions, shift attention to the Italian financial market. A weak incentive system and the low competition in the access to the market for corporate control seem to be the main explanatory variables.
|Length:||31 pages Keywords : Privatization, DEA, Efficiency|
|Date of creation:||Jun 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ceris.cnr.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1988.
"Property Rights and the Nature of the Firm,"
495, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, June.
- Aziz Boussofiane & Stephen Martin & David Parker, 1997. "The impact on technical efficiency of the UK privatization programme," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(3), pages 297-310.
- Schmidt, Klaus M., 1996.
"The costs and benefits of privatization: An incomplete contracts approach,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19773, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Schmidt, Klaus M, 1996. "The Costs and Benefits of Privatization: An Incomplete Contracts Approach," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 1-24, April.
- Hay, Donald A & Liu, Guy S, 1997. "The Efficiency of Firms: What Difference Does Competition Make?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 597-617, May.
- de Palma, André & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1995.
"Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1136, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anderson, Simon P. & de Palma, Andre & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1997. "Privatization and efficiency in a differentiated industry," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(9), pages 1635-1654, December.
- ANDERSON, Simon & deÂ PALMA, AndrÃ© & THISSE, Jacques-FranÃ§ois, 1996. "Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry," CORE Discussion Papers 1996045, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Anderson, S.P. & de Palma, A. & Thisse, J.F., 1995. "Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry," Papers 9505, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver, 1985.
"The Cost and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
70, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 691-719, August.
- Oliver Hart & Sanford Grossman, 1985. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Working papers 372, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Hart, Oliver D., 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Scholarly Articles 3450060, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Elisabetta Bertero & Laura Rondi, 1997. "Does debt discipline state-owned firms? Evidence from a panel of Italian firms," CERIS Working Paper 199711, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Boycko, Maxim & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1996. "A Theory of Privatisation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(435), pages 309-19, March.
- Kay, J A & Thompson, D J, 1986. "Privatisation: A Policy in Search of a Rationale," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(381), pages 18-32, March.
- Alessandro Sembenelli & Diego Margon & Davide Vannoni, 1995. "Panel Ceris Su Dati Di Impresa: Aspetti Metodologici E Istruzioni Per L’Uso," CERIS Working Paper 199507, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- John Vickers & George Yarrow, 1988. "Privatization: An Economic Analysis," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262720116, June.
- Boussofiane, A. & Dyson, R. G. & Thanassoulis, E., 1991. "Applied data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-15, May.
- Jean Tirole & Jean-Jaques Laffont, 1985.
"Using Cost Observation to Regulate Firms,"
368, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1996.
"Competition and Corporate Performance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 724-46, August.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Dilling-Hansen, M. & Eriksson, T. & Madsen, E.S. & Smith, V., 1999. "The Influence of Competition and Ownership Structure on the Performance of Sanish Manufacturing Firms," Papers 99-9, Aarhus School of Business - Department of Economics.
- Nickell, Stephen & Wadhwani, Sushil & Wall, Martin, 1992. "Productivity growth in U.K. companies, 1975-1986," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1055-1085, June.
- Keith Hartley & David Parker & Stephen Martin, 1991. "Organisational Status, Ownership and Productivity," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 12(2), pages 46-60, May.
- De Fraja, Giovanni, 1993. "Productive efficiency in public and private firms," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 15-30, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:csc:cerisp:199905. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Enrico Viarisio)or (Anna Perin) or (Giancarlo Birello)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.