Evaluating the law of one price using micro panel data
This paper investigates spatial variations in product prices using an exhaustive micro dataset on fish transactions. The data record all transactions between vessels and wholesalers that occur on local fish markets in France during the year 2007. Spatial disparities in fish prices are sizable, even after fish quality, time, seller and buyer unobserved heterogeneity have been taken into account. The price difference between local fish markets can be explained to some extent by distance, but mostly by a coast effect (analogous to a border effect in the literature on the law of one price) related to separate location on the Atlantic and Mediterranean coasts. In particular, fish and crustacean prices are 34% higher on the Mediterranean coast. The law of one price is verified for almost all species when considering only local fish markets on the Atlantic coast.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Duranton, Gilles & Gobillon, Laurent, 2004.
"Spatial Wage Disparities: Sorting Matters!,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4240, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Engel, Charles & Rogers, John H, 1996.
"How Wide Is the Border?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1112-25, December.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995. "How wide is the border?," International Finance Discussion Papers 498, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Engel, C. & Rogers, J.H., 1995. "How Wide is the Border?," Papers 4-95-16, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1994. "How Wide is the Border?," NBER Working Papers 4829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995. "How wide is the border?," Research Working Paper 95-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Jean Imbs & Haroon Mumtaz & Morten O. Ravn & Hélène Rey, 2009.
"One TV, One Price?,"
NBER Working Papers
15418, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- C. Simon Fan & Xiangdong Wei, 2006. "The Law of One Price: Evidence from the Transitional Economy of China," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 88(4), pages 682-697, November.
- Christian Broda & David E. Weinstein, 2008. "Understanding International Price Differences Using Barcode Data," NBER Working Papers 14017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Abowd & Francis Kramarz & David N. Margolis, 1994.
"High-Wage Workers and High-Wage Firms,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Abowd, J.M. & Kramarz, F. & Margolis, D.N., 1995. "High-Wage Workers and High-Wage Firms," Cahiers de recherche 9503, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Abowd, J.M. & Kramarz, F. & Margolis, D.N., 1995. "High-Wage Workers and High-Wage Firms," Cahiers de recherche 9503, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- John M. Abowd & Francis Kramarz & David N. Margolis, 1994. "High Wage Workers and High Wage Firms," NBER Working Papers 4917, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mauro Gallegati & Gianfranco Giulioni & Alan Kirman & Antonio Palestrini, 2010.
"What's that got to do with the price of fish? Buyers behavior on the Ancona fish market,"
- Gallegati, Mauro & Giulioni, Gianfranco & Kirman, Alan & Palestrini, Antonio, 2011. "What’s that got to do with the price of fish? Buyers behavior on the Ancona fish market," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 20-33.
- John M. Abowd & Robert H. Creecy & Francis Kramarz, 2002. "Computing Person and Firm Effects Using Linked Longitudinal Employer-Employee Data," Longitudinal Employer-Household Dynamics Technical Papers 2002-06, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Kathryn Graddy, 1995.
"Testing for Imperfect Competition at the Fulton Fish Market,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 26(1), pages 75-92, Spring.
- Graddy, K., 1993. "Testing for Imperfect Competition at the Fulton Fish Market," Papers 137, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi & Verboven, Frank, 2001.
"Market Integration and Convergence to the Law of One Price: Evidence from the European Car Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2926, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi K. & Verboven, Frank, 2005. "Market integration and convergence to the Law of One Price: evidence from the European car market," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 49-73, January.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Frank Verboven, 2001. "Market Integration and Convergence to the Law of One Price: Evidence from the European Car Market," NBER Working Papers 8402, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chiang, Fu-Sung & Lee, Jonq-Ying & Brown, Mark G., 2001. "The Impact Of Inventory On Tuna Price: An Application Of Scaling In The Rotterdam Inverse Demand System," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(03), December.
- Parsley, David C & Wei, Shang-Jin, 1996.
"Convergence to the Law of One Price without Trade Barriers or Currency Fluctuations,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1211-36, November.
- David C. Parsley & Shang-Jin Wei, 1996. "Convergence to the Law of One Price Without Trade Barriers or Currency Fluctuations," NBER Working Papers 5654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrice Guillotreau & Ramón Jiménez-Toribio, 2006. "The Impact of Electronic Clock Auction Systems on Shellfish Prices: Econometric Evidence from a Structural Change Model," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 523-546.
- Hardle, Wolfgang & Kirman, Alan, 1995. "Nonclassical demand : A model-free examination of price-quantity relations in the Marseille fish market," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 227-257, May.
- Guillotreau, Patrice & Jiménez-Toribio, Ramón, 2011. "The price effect of expanding fish auction markets," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 211-225, August.
- Martyn Andrews & Thorsten Schank & Richard Upward, 2006. "Practical fixed-effects estimation methods for the three-way error-components model," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(4), pages 461-481, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:9586. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.