Strategic Asset Allocation in Money Management
Money managers behave strategically when competing for fund flows within relatively small groups. We study strategic interaction between two risk-averse managers in continuous time, characterizing analytically their unique equilibrium dynamic investments. Driven by chasing and contrarian mechanisms when one is well ahead, they gamble in the opposite direction when their performances are close. We also discuss multiple and mixed-strategy equilibria. Equilibrium policy of each crucially depends on the opponent’s risk attitude. Hence, client investors, concerned about how a strategic manager may trade on their behalf, should also learn competitors’ characteristics--as against non-strategic settings, where knowing a manager’s own characteristics suffices to determine behavior.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaksa Cvitanic & Levon Goukasian & Fernando Zapatero, 2000. "Monte Carlo Valuation of Optimal Portfolios in Complete Markets," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1246, Econometric Society.
- Anand M. Goel & Anjan V. Thakor, 2005. "Green with Envy: Implications for Corporate Investment Distortions," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(6), pages 2255-2288, November.
- Jules H. van Binsbergen & Michael W. Brandt & Ralph S.J. Koijen, 2006.
"Optimal Decentralized Investment Management,"
NBER Working Papers
12144, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Basak, Suleyman & Pavlova, Anna & Shapiro, Alex, 2006.
"Optimal Asset Allocation and Risk Shifting in Money Management,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5524, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Suleyman Basak & Anna Pavlova & Alexander Shapiro, 2007. "Optimal Asset Allocation and Risk Shifting in Money Management," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(5), pages 1583-1621, 2007 21.
- Alexander Kempf & Stefan Ruenzi, 2008.
"Tournaments in Mutual-Fund Families,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(2), pages 1013-1036, April.
- Guercio, Diane Del & Tkac, Paula A., 2008.
"Star Power: The Effect of Monrningstar Ratings on Mutual Fund Flow,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(04), pages 907-936, December.
- Diane Del Guercio & Paula A. Tkac, 2001. "Star power: the effect of Morningstar ratings on mutual fund flows," Working Paper 2001-15, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Palomino, Frederic, 2005. "Relative performance objectives in financial markets," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 351-375, July.
- Baye, Michael R & Tian, Guoqiang & Zhou, Jianxin, 1993. "Characterizations of the Existence of Equilibria in Games with Discontinuous and Non-quasiconcave Payoffs," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(4), pages 935-48, October.
- Jér�me B. Detemple & René Garcia & Marcel Rindisbacher, 2003.
"A Monte Carlo Method for Optimal Portfolios,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 58(1), pages 401-446, 02.
- Goriaev, Alexei P. & Palomino, Frédéric & Prat, Andrea, 2001.
"Mutual Fund Tournament: Risk Taking Incentives Induced By Ranking Objectives,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2794, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Goriaev, A.P. & Palomino, F.A. & Prat, A., 2000. "Mutual Fund Tournament : Risk Taking Incentives Induced by Ranking Objectives," Discussion Paper 2000-94, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Lóránth, Gyöngyi & Sciubba, Emanuela, 2002.
"Relative Performance, Risk and Entry in the Mutual Fund Industry,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3504, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Loranth Gyongyi & Sciubba Emanuela, 2006. "Relative Performance, Risk and Entry in the Mutual Fund Industry," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-28, September.
- Gyöngyi Lóránth & Emanuela Sciubba, 2006. "Relative Performance, Risk and Entry in the Mutual Fund Industry," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0612, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Jennifer Carpenter, 1999. "Does Option Compensation Increase Managerial Risk Appetite?," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-076, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:8457. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.