Strategic Asset Allocation in Money Management
Money managers behave strategically when competing for fund flows within relatively small groups. We study strategic interaction between two risk-averse managers in continuous time, characterizing analytically their unique equilibrium dynamic investments. Driven by chasing and contrarian mechanisms when one is well ahead, they gamble in the opposite direction when their performances are close. We also discuss multiple and mixed-strategy equilibria. Equilibrium policy of each crucially depends on the opponent’s risk attitude. Hence, client investors, concerned about how a strategic manager may trade on their behalf, should also learn competitors’ characteristics--as against non-strategic settings, where knowing a manager’s own characteristics suffices to determine behavior.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diane Del Guercio & Paula A. Tkac, 2001.
"Star power: the effect of Morningstar ratings on mutual fund flows,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper No.
2001-15, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Guercio, Diane Del & Tkac, Paula A., 2008. "Star Power: The Effect of Monrningstar Ratings on Mutual Fund Flow," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(04), pages 907-936, December.
- Jules H. van Binsbergen & Michael W. Brandt & Ralph S.J. Koijen, 2006.
"Optimal Decentralized Investment Management,"
NBER Working Papers
12144, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goriaev, Alexei P. & Palomino, Frédéric & Prat, Andrea, 2001.
"Mutual Fund Tournament: Risk Taking Incentives Induced By Ranking Objectives,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2794, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Goriaev, A.P. & Palomino, F.A. & Prat, A., 2000. "Mutual Fund Tournament : Risk Taking Incentives Induced by Ranking Objectives," Discussion Paper 2000-94, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jérôme B. Detemple & René Garcia & Marcel Rindisbacher, 2000.
"A Monte-Carlo Method for Optimal Portfolios,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Gyöngyi Lóránth & Emanuela Sciubba, 2006.
"Relative Performance, Risk and Entry in the Mutual Fund Industry,"
Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance
0612, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Loranth Gyongyi & Sciubba Emanuela, 2006. "Relative Performance, Risk and Entry in the Mutual Fund Industry," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-28, September.
- Lóránth, Gyöngyi & Sciubba, Emanuela, 2002. "Relative Performance, Risk and Entry in the Mutual Fund Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 3504, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Suleyman Basak & Anna Pavlova & Alexander Shapiro, 2007.
"Optimal Asset Allocation and Risk Shifting in Money Management,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(5), pages 1583-1621, 2007 21.
- Basak, Suleyman & Pavlova, Anna & Shapiro, Alex, 2006. "Optimal Asset Allocation and Risk Shifting in Money Management," CEPR Discussion Papers 5524, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alexander Kempf & Stefan Ruenzi, 2004.
"Tournaments in Mutual Fund Families,"
- Baye, Michael R & Tian, Guoqiang & Zhou, Jianxin, 1993. "Characterizations of the Existence of Equilibria in Games with Discontinuous and Non-quasiconcave Payoffs," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(4), pages 935-48, October.
- Palomino, Frederic, 2005. "Relative performance objectives in financial markets," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 351-375, July.
- Anand M. Goel & Anjan V. Thakor, 2005. "Green with Envy: Implications for Corporate Investment Distortions," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(6), pages 2255-2288, November.
- Jaksa Cvitanic & Levon Goukasian & Fernando Zapatero, 2000. "Monte Carlo Valuation of Optimal Portfolios in Complete Markets," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1246, Econometric Society.
- Jennifer Carpenter, 1999. "Does Option Compensation Increase Managerial Risk Appetite?," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-076, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:8457. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.