Tournaments in mutual fund families
In this paper we examine intra-firm competition in the U.S. mutual fund industry. Our empirical study shows that fund managers within mutual fund families compete against each other. They adjust the risk they take dependent on the relative position within their fund family. The direction of the adjustment crucially hinges on the competitive situation within a family. Funds from small families behave in the opposite way than funds from large families. The results are very robust. They hold for different time periods and for different subgroups of funds.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0221 / 470 5607
Fax: 0221 / 470 5179
Web page: http://cfr-cologne.de/english/version06/html/home.php
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Khorana, Ajay, 1996. "Top management turnover An empirical investigation of mutual fund managers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 403-427, March.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:200094 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christopher S. Ruebeck, 2002. "Interfirm Competition, Intrafirm Cannibalisation and Product Exit in the Market for Computer Hard Disk Drives," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 33(1), pages 119-131.
- Baye, Michael R & Crocker, Keith J & Ju, Jiandong, 1996. "Divisionalization, Franchising, and Divestiture Incentives in Oligopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 223-36, March.
- Luis Corchón & Miguel González-Maestre, 1994.
"On the competitive effects of divisionalization,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
1994-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Brown, Keith C & Harlow, W V & Starks, Laura T, 1996. " Of Tournaments and Temptations: An Analysis of Managerial Incentives in the Mutual Fund Industry," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 85-110, March.
- Nicolaj Siggelkow, 2003. "Why Focus? A Study Of Intra-Industry Focus Effects," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 121-150, 06.
- Taylor, Jonathan, 2003. "Risk-taking behavior in mutual fund tournaments," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 373-383, March.
- Jennifer Koski & Jeffrey Pontiff, 1996.
"How Are Derivatives Used? Evidence from the Mutual Fund Industry,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
96-27, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jennifer Lynch Koski & Jeffrey Pontiff, 1999. "How Are Derivatives Used? Evidence from the Mutual Fund Industry," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(2), pages 791-816, 04.
- Hui Ou-Yang, 2003. "Optimal Contracts in a Continuous-Time Delegated Portfolio Management Problem," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(1), pages 173-208.
- Judith Chevalier & Glenn Ellison, 1998.
"Career Concerns of Mutual Fund Managers,"
NBER Working Papers
6394, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alexander Kempf & Stefan Ruenzi, 2004. "Family Matters: The Performance Flow Relationship in the Mutual Fund Industry," Finance 0404012, EconWPA, revised 26 May 2004.
- R. Mark Isaac & Duncan James, 2000. "Asset Markets: How They Are Affected by Tournament Incentives for Individuals," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 995-1004, September.
- Stephen J. Brown, 2001. "Careers and Survival: Competition and Risk in the Hedge Fund and CTA Industry," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(5), pages 1869-1886, October.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- Almazan, Andres & Brown, Keith C. & Carlson, Murray & Chapman, David A., 2004. "Why constrain your mutual fund manager?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 289-321, August.
- Athanasios Orphanides, 1996. "Compensation incentives and risk taking behavior: evidence from mutual funds," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 96-21, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Edwin J. Elton, 2001. "A First Look at the Accuracy of the CRSP Mutual Fund Database and a Comparison of the CRSP and Morningstar Mutual Fund Databases," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2415-2430, December.
- Khorana, Ajay & Servaes, Henri, 1999. "The Determinants of Mutual Fund Starts," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(5), pages 1043-74.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cfrwps:0402. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.