Foreign Currency Loans - Demand or Supply Driven?
Motivated by concerns over foreign currency exposures of banks in Emerging Europe, we examine the currency denomination of business loans made in Bulgaria during the period 2003-2007. We analyze a unique dataset including information on the requested and granted currency for more than hundred thousand loans granted by one bank to sixty thousand different firms. This data set allows us to disentangle demand-side from supply-side determinants of foreign currency loans. We find that 32% of the foreign currency loans disbursed in our sample were actually requested in local currency by the firm. Our analysis suggests that the bank lends in foreign currency, not only to less risky firms, but also when the firm requests a long-term loan and when the bank itself has more funding in euro. These results imply that foreign currency borrowing in Eastern Europe is not only driven by borrowers who try to benefit from lower interest rates but also by banks hesitant to lend long-term in local currency and eager to match the currency structure of their assets and liabilities.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicolo, Gianni De & Honohan, Patrick & Ize, Alain, 2005. "Dollarization of bank deposits: Causes and consequences," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1697-1727, July.
- Martin Brown & Tullio Jappelli & Marco Pagano, 2008.
"Information Sharing and Credit: Firm-Level Evidence from Transition Countries,"
3_2008, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Brown, Martin & Jappelli, Tullio & Pagano, Marco, 2009. "Information sharing and credit: Firm-level evidence from transition countries," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 151-172, April.
- Martin Brown & Tullio Jappelli & Marco Pagano, 2007. "Information Sharing and Credit: Firm-Level Evidence from Transition Countries," Working Papers 2007-15, Swiss National Bank.
- Brown, Martin & Jappelli, Tullio & Pagano, Marco, 2008. "Information sharing and credit: Firm-level evidence from transition countries," CFS Working Paper Series 2008/34, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Martin Brown & Tullio Jappelli & Marco Pagano, 2007. "Information Sharing and Credit: Firm-Level Evidence from Transition Countries," CSEF Working Papers 178, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Brown, Martin & Jappelli, Tullio & Pagano, Marco, 2008. "Information Sharing and Credit: Firm-Level Evidence from Transition Countries," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Zurich 2008 3, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Brown, Martin & Jappelli, Tullio & Pagano, Marco, 2007. "Information Sharing and Credit: Firm-Level Evidence from Transition Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 6313, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Beer, Christian & Ongena, Steven & Peter, Marcel, 2010.
"Borrowing in foreign currency: Austrian households as carry traders,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 2198-2211, September.
- Christian Beer & Steven Ongena & Marcel Peter, 2008. "Borrowing in Foreign Currency: Austrian Households as Carry Traders," Working Papers 2008-19, Swiss National Bank.
- Benavente, Jose Miguel & Johnson, Christian A. & Morande, Felipe G., 2003. "Debt composition and balance sheet effects of exchange rate depreciations: a firm-level analysis for Chile," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 397-416, December.
- Martinez, Lorenza & Werner, Alejandro, 2002. "The exchange rate regime and the currency composition of corporate debt: the Mexican experience," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 315-334, December.
- Basso, Henrique S. & Calvo-Gonzalez, Oscar & Jurgilas, Marius, 2007. "Financial dollarization: the role of banks and interest rates," Working Paper Series 0748, European Central Bank.
- Durbin, Erik & Ng, David, 2005.
"The sovereign ceiling and emerging market corporate bond spreads,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 631-649, June.
- Durbin, Erik & Ng, David T.C., 2002. "The Sovereign Ceiling and Emerging Market Corporate Bond Spreads," Working Papers 127286, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Fenghua Song & Anjan V. Thakor, 2007. "Relationship Banking, Fragility, and the Asset-Liability Matching Problem," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(6), pages 2129-2177, November.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Panizza, Ugo, 2003. "On the determinants of Original Sin: an empirical investigation," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 957-990, December.
- Kevin Cowan & Erwin Hansen & Luis Oscar Herrera, 2005.
"Currency Mismatches, Balance Sheet Effects and Hedging in Chilean non-Financial Corporations,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
346, Central Bank of Chile.
- Kevin Cowan & Erwin Hansen & Luis Oscar Herrera, 2005. "Currency Mismatches, Balance-Sheet Effects and Hedging in Chilean Non-Financial Corporations," Research Department Publications 4387, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Brown, Martin & Ongena, Steven & Yesin, Pinar, 2009.
"Foreign Currency Borrowing by Small Firms,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7540, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ricardo Hausmann, 1999.
"Exchange rates and financial fragility,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 329-368.
- Gaston Gelos, R., 2003. "Foreign currency debt in emerging markets: firm-level evidence from Mexico," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(3), pages 323-327, March.
- Ai, Chunrong & Norton, Edward C., 2003. "Interaction terms in logit and probit models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 123-129, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:7952. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.