Services Provision and Temporary Mobility: Freedoms and Regulation in the EU
International posting of workers and mobility of self-employed service suppliers lie between outright migration and trade in goods: their regulation, for both distributional and market-correcting purposes, is not as difficult to harmonize as that of labour markets, but personal mobility is more visible and socially intrusive than product market interactions. This paper analyzes economic and legal tensions between national regulatory frameworks and international competition in these areas, in both the intra-EU and global contexts, highlighting how interactions between the external and internal roles of the European Commission may foster efficient integration of markets and policies in this and other fields.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pradip Bhatnagar, 2004. "Liberalising the Movement of Natural Persons: A Lost Decade?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 459-472, 03.
- Volker Meier, 2004. "Economic Consequences Of The Posted Workers Directive," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(4), pages 409-431, November.
- Roberta Piermartini & Marion Jansen, 2005.
"The Impact of Mode 4 Liberalization on Bilateral Trade Flows,"
- Jansen, Marion & Piermartini, Roberta, 2005. "The impact of Mode 4 liberalization on bilateral trade flows," WTO Staff Working Papers ERSD-2005-06, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Jansen, Marion & Piermartini, Roberta, 2005. "The Impact of Mode 4 Liberalization on Bilateral Trade Flows," CEPR Discussion Papers 5382, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Timothy J. Hatton, 2007. "Should we have a WTO for international migration?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 22, pages 339-383, 04.
- Marion Jansen & Roberta Piermartini, 2009. "Temporary Migration and Bilateral Trade Flows," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(5), pages 735-753, 05.
- Walmsley, Terrie L. & Winters, L. Alan, 2005.
"Relaxing the Restrictions on the Temporary Movement of Natural Persons: A Simulation Analysis,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 20, pages 688-726.
- Walmsley, Terri Louise & Winters, L. Alan, 2003. "Relaxing the Restrictions on the Temporary Movements of Natural Persons: A Simulation Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 3719, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stijn Billiet, 2006. "From GATT to the WTO: The Internal Struggle for External Competences in the EU," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44, pages 899-919, December.
- Langhammer, Rolf J., 2005.
"The EU offer of service trade liberalization in the Doha Round : evidence of a not-yet-perfect customs union,"
Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy
3509, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Rolf J. Langhammer, 2005. "The EU Offer of Service Trade Liberalization in the Doha Round: Evidence of a Not-Yet-Perfect Customs Union," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 311-325, 06.
- Epstein, Gil S & Hillman, Arye L. & Weiss, Avi, 1998.
"Creating Illegal Immigrants,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1796, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- L. Alan Winters & Terrie L. Walmsley & Zhen Kun Wang & Roman Grynberg, 2003. "Liberalising Temporary Movement of Natural Persons: An Agenda for the Development Round," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(8), pages 1137-1161, 08.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Mattoo, Aaditya & Sapir, André, 2007.
"The Political Economy of Services Trade Liberalization: A Case for International Regulatory Cooperation?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6457, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bernard Hoekman & Aaditya Mattoo & André Sapir, 2007. "The political economy of services trade liberalization: a case for international regulatory cooperation?," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(3), pages 367-391, Autumn.
- André Sapir & Bernard Hoekman & Aaditya Mattoo, 2007. "The political economy of services trade liberalization: a case for international regulatory cooperation?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8098, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Luis Rubalcaba, 2007. "Services in European Policies," Bruges European Economic Policy Briefings 16, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- Henk Kox & Arjan Lejour, 2005. "Regulatory heterogeneity as obstacle for international services trade," CPB Discussion Paper 49, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:7350. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.