The Economic Impact of Medical Migration: an Overview of the Literature
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Martine Rutten, 2009. "The Economic Impact of Medical Migration: An Overview of the Literature," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(2), pages 291-325, February.
References listed on IDEAS
- Elhanan Helpman, 1995. "Politics and Trade Policy," NBER Working Papers 5309, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Spilimbergo, Antonio & Londono, Juan Luis & Szekely, Miguel, 1999.
"Income distribution, factor endowments, and trade openness,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, pages 77-101.
- Antonio Spilimbergo & Juan Luis Londoño & Miguel Székely, 1997. "Income Distribution, Factor Endowments, and Trade Openness," Research Department Publications 4088, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Francois, Joseph & Rojas-Romagosa, Hugo, 2004.
"Household Inequality, Welfare and the Setting of Trade Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4624, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joseph Francois & Hugo Rojas-Romagosa, 2005. "Household Inequality, Welfare, and the Setting of Trade Policy," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp81, IIIS.
- Joseph Francois & Hugo Rojas-Romagosa, 2004. "Household Inequality, Welfare, and the Setting of Trade Policy," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-086/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- J. Francois & H. Rojas-Romagosa, 2004.
"Trade Policy and the Household Distribution of Income,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
04-051/2, Tinbergen Institute, revised 15 Jun 2004.
- Francois, Joseph & Rojas-Romagosa, Hugo, 2004. "Trade Policy and the Household Distribution of Income," CEPR Discussion Papers 4436, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dutt, Pushan & Mitra, Devashish, 2002. "Endogenous trade policy through majority voting: an empirical investigation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 107-133, October.
- Francois, Joseph & Rojas-Romagosa, Hugo, 2005. "Equity, welfare, and the setting of trade policy in general equilibrium," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3731, The World Bank.
- J. David Richardson, 1995. "Income Inequality and Trade: How to Think, What to Conclude," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 33-55, Summer.
- Ronald W. Jones, 1965. "The Structure of Simple General Equilibrium Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 557-557.
- Matthew Higgins & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 1999.
"Explaining Inequality the World Round: Cohort Size, Kuznets Curves, andOpenness,"
NBER Working Papers
7224, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matthew Higgins & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 1999. "Explaining inequality the world round: cohort size, Kuznets curves, and openness," Staff Reports 79, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Baldwin, Robert E, 1989. "The Political Economy of Trade Policy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(4), pages 119-135, Fall.
- John C. Harsanyi, 1953. "Cardinal Utility in Welfare Economics and in the Theory of Risk-taking," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61, pages 434-434.
- Barro, Robert J, 2000. "Inequality and Growth in a Panel of Countries," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-32, March.
- Bourguignon, F. & Morrisson, C., 1990.
"Income distribution, development and foreign trade : A cross-sectional analysis,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1113-1132, September.
- Bourguignon, F. & Morrisson, C., 1989. "Income Distribution, Development and Foreign Trade: A Cross-Sectional Analysis," DELTA Working Papers 89-05, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Fernandez, Raquel & Rodrik, Dani, 1991. "Resistance to Reform: Status Quo Bias in the Presence of Individual-Specific Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1146-1155, December.
- Mayer, Wolfgang, 1984. "Endogenous Tariff Formation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 970-985, December.
- Sen, Amartya, 1997. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198292975.
- Sen, Amartya, 1974. "Informational bases of alternative welfare approaches : Aggregation and income distribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 387-403, November.
- Galor, Oded, 1994. "Tariffs, Income Distribution and Welfare in a Small Overlapping-Generations Economy," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(1), pages 173-192, February.
- John C. Harsanyi, 1955. "Cardinal Welfare, Individualistic Ethics, and Interpersonal Comparisons of Utility," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63, pages 309-309.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anghel, Remus Gabriel & Botezat, Alina & Cosciug, Anatolie & Manafi, Ioana & Roman, Monica, 2016.
"International migration, return migration, and their effects. A comprehensive review on the Romanian case,"
75528, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2016.
- Remus Gabriel Anghel, 2017. "International Migration, Return Migration, and their Effects. A Comprehensive Review on the Romanian Case," Discussion Papers 43, Central European Labour Studies Institute (CELSI).
- Anghel, Remus Gabriel & Botezat, Alina & Coșciug, Anatolie & Manafi, Ioana & Roman, Monica, 2016. "International Migration, Return Migration, and their Effects: A Comprehensive Review on the Romanian Case," IZA Discussion Papers 10445, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Driouchi, Ahmed, 2015. "New Health Technologies and Health Workforce in Developing Economies," MPRA Paper 67775, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Boncea Irina, 2013. "Medical Brain Drain - A Theoretical Approach," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 64-71, July.
- Michel Grignon & Yaw Owusu & Arthur Sweetman, 2013.
"The international migration of health professionals,"
Chapters,in: International Handbook on the Economics of Migration, chapter 4, pages 75-97
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Grignon, Michel & Owusu, Yaw & Sweetman, Arthur, 2012. "The International Migration of Health Professionals," IZA Discussion Papers 6517, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pavel Yakovlev & Tanner Steinkopf, 2014. "Can Economic Freedom Cure Medical Brain Drain?," Journal of Private Enterprise, The Association of Private Enterprise Education, vol. 29(Fall 2014), pages 97-117.
- Jacques Poot & Anna Strutt, 2010.
"International Trade Agreements and International Migration,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(12), pages 1923-1954, December.
- Jacques Poot & Anna Strutt, 2009. "International Trade Agreements and International Migration," Working Papers in Economics 09/06, University of Waikato.
- Rutten, Martine, 2008. "Medical migration : what can we learn from the UK's perspective ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4593, The World Bank.
- Andrew Sharpe & Simon Lapointe, 2011. "The Labour Market and Economic Performance of Canada’s First Nations Reserves: The Effect of Educational Attainment and Remoteness," CSLS Research Reports 2011-05, Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
- Okeke, Edward N., 2013. "Brain drain: Do economic conditions “push” doctors out of developing countries?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 98(C), pages 169-178.
More about this item
Keywordsmedical migration; brain drain; doctor migration; nurse migration;
- F22 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Migration
- I1 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2007-11-03 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2007-11-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-HEA-2007-11-03 (Health Economics)
- NEP-MIG-2007-11-03 (Economics of Human Migration)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lnz:wpaper:20070803. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (iide webmaster). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/siidenl.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
We have no references for this item. You can help adding them by using this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.