Indeterminacy with Small Externalities: The Role of Non-Separable Preferences
In this paper we consider a Ramsey one-sector model with non-separable homothetic preferences, endogenous labour and productive external effects arising from average capital and labour. We show that indeterminacy cannot arise when there are only capital externalities but that it does when there are only labour external effects. We prove that sunspot fluctuations are fully consistent with small market imperfections and realistic calibrations for the elasticity of capital-labour substitution (including the Cobb-Douglas specification) provided the elasticity of intertemporal substitution in consumption and the elasticity of the labour supply are large enough.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duffy, John & Papageorgiou, Chris, 2000. " A Cross-Country Empirical Investigation of the Aggregate Production Function Specification," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 87-120, March.
- Bennett, Rosalind L. & Farmer, Roger E. A., 2000.
"Indeterminacy with Non-separable Utility,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 118-143, July.
- Pintus, Patrick A., 2007.
"Local determinacy with non-separable utility,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 669-682, February.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Pintus, Patrick & de Vilder, Robin, 1998.
"Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 14-59, May.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & P, A, Pintus & R, De Vilder, 1997. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Working Papers 97-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel & PINTUS, Patrick & de VILDER, Robin, 1997. "Capital-labor substitution and competitive nonlinear endogenous business cycles," CORE Discussion Papers 1997087, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- King, Robert G & Plosser, Charles I & Rebelo, Sergio T, 2002.
"Production, Growth and Business Cycles: Technical Appendix,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 20(1-2), pages 87-116, October.
- Pelloni, A. & Waldmann, R., 1997.
"Stability Properties in a Growth Model,"
Economics Working Papers
eco97/11, European University Institute.
- Michele Boldrin & Aldo Rustichini, 2010.
"Growth and Indeterminacy in Dynamic Models with Externalities,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1382, David K. Levine.
- Boldrin, Michele & Rustichini, Aldo, 1994. "Growth and Indeterminacy in Dynamic Models with Externalities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 323-42, March.
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1999. "Indeterminacy and sunspots in macroeconomics," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 387-448 Elsevier.
- Benhabib, J. & Farmer, R.E.A, 1991.
"Indeterminacy and Increasing Returns,"
165, Cambridge - Risk, Information & Quantity Signals.
- Jess Benhabib & Roger E.A. Farmer, 1992. "Indeterminacy and Increasing Returns," UCLA Economics Working Papers 646, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1991. "Indeterminacy and Increasing Returns," Working Papers 91-59, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Patrick Pintus, 2006. "Indeterminacy with almost constant returns to scale: capital-labor substitution matters," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 633-649, 08.
- Hintermaier, Thomas, 2003. "On the minimum degree of returns to scale in sunspot models of the business cycle," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 400-409, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:5541. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.