The Shapley value as a guide to FRAND licensing agreements
We consider the problem of specifying Fair, Reasonable And Non-Discriminatory agreements faced by standard-setting organizations. Along with Layne-Farrar, Padilla and Schmalensee (2007), we model the problem as a cooperative game with transferable utility, allowing for patents to be weak in the sense that they have substitutes. Assuming that a value has been assigned to weak patents, we obtain a formula for the Shapley value that gives an insight into what FRAND agreements should look like.
|Date of creation:||06 May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/coreEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Farrell, Joseph & Shapiro, Carl, 2007.
"How Strong Are Weak Patents?,"
Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series
qt8vg425vj, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Muto, Shigeo & Potters, Jos & Tijs, Stef, 1989. "Information Market Games," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 209-26.
- WAN, Shui-Ki & WANG, Shin-Huei & WOO, Chi-Keung, 2012. "Total tourist arrival forecast: aggregation vs. disaggregation," CORE Discussion Papers 2012039, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Duranton, Gilles & Martin, Philippe & Mayer, Thierry & Mayneris, Florian, 2010. "The Economics of Clusters: Lessons from the French Experience," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199592203, March.
- Morton I. Kamien & Yair Tauman, 1984.
"Fees Versus Royalties and the Private Value of a Patent,"
583, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Kamien, Morton I & Tauman, Yair, 1986. "Fees versus Royalties and the Private Value of a Patent," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(3), pages 471-91, August.
- Pierre Dehez & Daniela Tellone, 2009.
"Data Games : Sharing public goods with exclusion,"
Working Papers of BETA
2009-31, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- DEHEZ, Pierre & TELLONE, Daniela, 2008. "Data games. Sharing public goods with exclusion," CORE Discussion Papers 2008010, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- DEHEZ, Pierre & TELLONE, Daniela, . "Data games: sharing public goods with exclusion," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2481, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pierre Dehez & Daniela Tellone, 2011. "Data games: Sharing public goods with exclusion," Working Papers of BETA 2011-04, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Pierre, DEHEZ & Daniela, TELLONE, 2008. "Data games. Sharing public goods with exclusion," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2008010, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- A. Jorge Padilla & Anne Layne-Farrar & Richard Schmalensee, 2007.
"Pricing Patents For Licensing In Standard Setting Organizations: Making Sense Of Frand Commitments,"
- Layne-Farrar, Anna & Padilla, Atilano Jorge & Schmalensee, Richard, 2007. "Pricing Patents for Licensing in Standard Setting Organisations: Making Sense of FRAND Commitments," CEPR Discussion Papers 6025, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Muto, S. & Potters, J.A.M. & Tijs, S.H., 1989. "Information market games," Other publications TiSEM 2f3f1109-5579-4e6a-9482-e, School of Economics and Management.
- Josh Lerner & Jean Tirole & Marcin Strojwas, 2003. "Cooperative Marketing Agreements Between Competitors: Evidence from Patent Pools," NBER Working Papers 9680, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521887427 is not listed on IDEAS
- CARPANTIER, Jean-François & SAPATA, Christelle, 2012. "Unfair inequalities in France: A regional comparison," CORE Discussion Papers 2012038, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-154244 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521715348 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2013012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.