Intertemporal equilibrium with a resource bequest motive
In this paper we question the role of a joy-of-giving bequest motive of a privately-owned renewable resource for sustainability. We model an overlapping generations economy in which individuals are endowed with a renewable resource. This resource can be exploited at no cost by the young households and provided to production or bequeathed to the next generation. We highlight two main results. First, the mere existence of a bequest motive does not guarantee a sustainable outcome. Second, when the resource is preserved in equilibrium, its level does not necessarily coincide with the efficient one. Whether the resource stock is too high or too low the capital stock should be lower than the golden rule level.
|Date of creation:||00 Mar 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andreoni, James, 1989. "Giving with Impure Altruism: Applications to Charity and Ricardian Equivalence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(6), pages 1447-58, December.
- Geir B. Asheim & Wolfgang Buchholz, 2000.
"The Hartwick Rule: Myths and Facts,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
299, CESifo Group Munich.
- Asheim, G.B. & Buchholz, W. & Withagen, C.A.A.M., 2002. "The Hartwick Rule : Myths and Facts," Discussion Paper 2002-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Asheim,G.B. & Buchholz,W., 2000. "The Hartwick rule : myths and facts," Memorandum 11/2000, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Hultkrantz, Lars, 1992. "Forestry and the bequest motive," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 164-177, March.
- Karl-Gustaf Löfgren, 1991. "Another reconciliation between economists and forestry experts: OLG-arguments," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 1(1), pages 83-95, March.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Jouvet, Pierre-Andre & Michel, Philippe & Vidal, Jean-Pierre, 2000.
" Intergenerational Altruism and the Environment,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(1), pages 135-50, March.
- Jouvet, P.-A. & Michel, P. & Vidal, J.-P., 1999. "Intergenerational Altruism and the Environment," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a03, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- JOUVET, Pierre-AndrÃ© & MICHEL, Philippe & VIDAL, Jean-Pierre, 1997. "Intergenerational altruism and the environment," CORE Discussion Papers 1997041, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2006022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.