The Hartwick rule as a conservation law
Using conservation laws, we provide a new proof of the Hartwick result, i.e. there is intergenerational equity if and only if net investment is constant. Subsequently, the technique is used to show that constant net investment does not indicate intergenerational equity if consumers value the existence of an essential non-renewable resource.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 31 20 525 52 58
Fax: + 31 20 525 52 83
Web page: http://www.fee.uva.nl/cendef/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heal, G., 1998. "Valuing the Future: Economic Theory and Sustainability," Papers 98-10, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Hartwick, John M, 1977.
"Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 972-74, December.
- John Hartwick, 1976. "Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources," Working Papers 220, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Asheim, G.B. & Buchholz, W. & Withagen, C.A.A.M., 2002.
"The Hartwick Rule : Myths and Facts,"
2002-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Antoine d'Autume & Katheline Schubert, 2008.
"Hartwick's rule and maximin paths when the exhaustible resource has an amenity value,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
v08031, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- d'Autume, Antoine & Schubert, Katheline, 2008. "Hartwick's rule and maximin paths when the exhaustible resource has an amenity value," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 260-274, November.
- Antoine D'Autume & Katheline Schubert, 2008. "Hartwick's rule and maximin paths when the exhaustible resource has an amenity value," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00275765, HAL.
- Dixit, Avinash & Hammond, Peter & Hoel, Michael, 1980. "On Hartwick's Rule for Regular Maximin Paths of Capital Accumulation and Resource Depletion," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(3), pages 551-56, April.
- Sato, Ryuzo & Kim, Youngduk, 2002. "Hartwick's rule and economic conservation laws," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 437-449, March.
- Asheim, Geir B. & Weitzman, Martin L., 2001.
"Does NNP growth indicate welfare improvement?,"
Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 233-239, November.
- R. M. Solow, 1973. "Intergenerational Equity and Exhaustable Resources," Working papers 103, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ams:ndfwpp:08-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cees C.G. Diks)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.