Family altruism with a renewable resource and population growth
We develop an overlapping-generation model `a la Diamond with a non-constant population growth in which households privately own a natural renewable resource and have a family- altruism resource bequest motive. The natural resource can be either extracted and sold to the producing ï¬rms as a production factor, or bequeathed to the offspring to increase his adult disposable income. With a numerical application, we analyze how family altruism interplays with population growth to shape the dynamics of the whole economy. We also highlight the role of altruism in the case of a temporary negative demographic shock. The simulations we present show that a fall in the size of families increases the family natural resource stock but reduces resource extraction on the transition, through a reinforcement of family altruistic links. Hence, family altruism plays a key role in the recovery of the economy after the shock.
|Date of creation:||00 Apr 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- LAMBRECHT, StÃ©phane & MICHEL, Philippe & VIDAL, Jean-Pierre, .
"Public pensions and growth,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1820, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- LAMBRECHT, StÃ©phane & MICHEL, Philippe & THIBAULT, Emmanuel, .
"Capital accumulation and fiscal policy in an OLG model with family altruism,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1913, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Stéphane Lambrecht & Philippe Michel & Emmanuel Thibault, 2006. "Capital Accumulation and Fiscal Policy in an OLG Model with Family Altruism," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 8(3), pages 465-486, 08.
- LAMBRECHT, StÃ©phane & MICHEL, Philippe & THIBAULT, Emmanuel, 2005. "Capital accumulation and fiscal policy in an OLG model with family altruism," CORE Discussion Papers 2005027, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BRECHET, Thierry & LAMBRECHT, StÃ©phane, 2006. "Intertemporal equilibrium with a resource bequest motive," CORE Discussion Papers 2006022, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2006035. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.