The role of mediation in peacemaking and peacekeeping negotiations
We develop a model of bargaining that provides a rationality for the difference in the method of negotiation, depending on the nature of the conflict. We distinguish negotiations previous to a potential conflict, and negotiations during a conflict. In these contexts, we study the role of a mediator that tries to achieve a certain balance between the efficiency of the agreement and the equality of the sharing. We show that the credibility of the mediator comes from his willingness to impose delays in the negotiation, even if that implies costs. We also find how the 'weak' player in the conflict can strategically profit from the mediator's quest for equity. Finally, we show how the capacity of the mediator to induce a higher equality in the sharing is always higher in a peacemaking situation than in a peacekeeping one.
|Date of creation:||00 Feb 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sakovics, J. & Ponsati, C., 1995. "Rubinstein Batgaining with Tow-Sided Options," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 318.95, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Ariel Rubinstein, 2010.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
661465000000000387, David K. Levine.
- Jernej Copic & Clara Ponsati, 2003. "Implementation by Decent Mechanisms," Levine's Working Paper Archive 506439000000000275, David K. Levine.
- Manzini, Paola & Mariotti, Marco, 2001. "Perfect Equilibria in a Model of Bargaining with Arbitration," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 170-195, October.
- Jarque, Xavier & Ponsati, Clara & Sakovics, Jozsef, 2003.
"Mediation: incomplete information bargaining with filtered communication,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 803-830, September.
- Xavier Jarque & Clara Ponsati & Jozsef Sakovics, 2004. "Mediation: Incomplete information bargaining with filtered communication," ESE Discussion Papers 75, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Nicolás Porteiro, 2007. "An Efficient and Egalitarian Negotiation Procedure for Economies with Externalities," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 19-40, January.
- Martin J. Osborne & Ariel Rubinstein, 1994.
"A Course in Game Theory,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262650401, June.
- JÕzsef SÂkovics & Clara PonsatÎ, 1998. "Rubinstein bargaining with two-sided outside options," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 667-672.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521576475 is not listed on IDEAS
- P. Manzini & C. Ponsati, 2006. "Stakeholder bargaining games," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 67-77, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2004005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.