An exploration on interbank markets and the operational framework of monetary policy in Colombia
We set a dynamic stochastic model for the interbank daily market for funds in Colombia. The framework features exogenous reserve requirements and requirement period, competitive trading among heterogeneous commercial banks, daily open market operations held by the Central Bank (auctions and window facilities), and idiosyncratic demand shocks and uncertainty in the daily auction. The model highlights the institutional framework and the money supply mechanisms for the interbank market. We construct a data base for the Colombian case that incorporates the principal variables of the model and give us some insights about the behavior of them in a typical requirement period. We corroborate the Martingale hypothesis for the interbank interest rate.
|Date of creation:||18 Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamada, Koichi & Ueda, Kazuo, 1977. "Random Walks and the Theory of the Optimal International Reserves," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(348), pages 722-42, December.
- Alberto Carrasquilla, 1995. "Demanda Por Reservas Bajo Bandas Cambiarias," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002272, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Marius Jurgilas, 2006. "Interbank Markets under Currency Boards," Working papers 2006-19, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Reuven Glick & Andrew K. Rose, 1998.
"Contagion and trade: why are currency crises regional?,"
Pacific Basin Working Paper Series
98-03, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Glick, Reuven & Rose, Andrew K., 1999. "Contagion and trade: Why are currency crises regional?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 603-617, August.
- Reuven Glick & Andrew K. Rose, 1998. "Contagion and Trade: Why Are Currency Crises Regional?," NBER Working Papers 6806, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glick, Reuven & Rose, Andrew K, 1998. "Contagion and Trade: Why are Currency Crises Regional," CEPR Discussion Papers 1947, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Steven Radelet & Jeffrey D. Sachs, 1998. "The East Asian Financial Crisis: Diagnosis, Remedies, Prospects," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 29(1), pages 1-90.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 1995.
"Varieties of Capital-Market Crises,"
Research Department Publications
4008, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Pamela A. Cardozo & Carlos A. Huertas C. & Julián A. Parra P. & Lina V. Patiño Echeverri, 2011.
"Mercado interbancario colombiano y manejo de liquidez del Banco de la República,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
009017, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Pamela cardozo Ortiz & carlos A. Huertas Campos & Julián A. Parra POlanía & Lina V. Patiño ECheverri, 2011. "Mercado interbancario colombiano y manejo de liquidez del Banco de la República," Borradores de Economia 673, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Moschitz, Julius, 2004. "The determinants of the overnight interest rate in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0393, European Central Bank.
- Charles, Amélie & Darné, Olivier & Kim, Jae H., 2011.
"Small sample properties of alternative tests for martingale difference hypothesis,"
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 151-154, February.
- Amélie Charles & Olivier Darné & Jae H Kim, 2010. "Small Sample Properties of Alternative Tests for Martingale Difference Hypothesis," Working Papers 2010.07, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Caramazza, Francesco & Ricci, Luca & Salgado, Ranil, 2004. "International financial contagion in currency crises," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 51-70, February.
- Ben-Bassat, Avraham & Gottlieb, Daniel, 1992. "Optimal international reserves and sovereign risk," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3-4), pages 345-362, November.
- Galina Hale & Carlos Arteta, 2007.
"Currency crises and foreign credit in emerging markets: credit crunch or demand effect?,"
Working Paper Series
2007-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Hale, Galina & Arteta, Carlos, 2009. "Currency crises and foreign credit in emerging markets: Credit crunch or demand effect?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 758-774, October.
- Martin Feldstein, 1999. "Self-Protection for Emerging Market Economies," NBER Working Papers 6907, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Georges Pineau & Ettore Dorrucci, 2006. "The accumulation of foreign reserves," Occasional Paper Series 43, European Central Bank.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1981. "Optimal International Reserves: A Stochastic Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(362), pages 507-14, June.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2006.
"The Social Cost of Foreign Exchange Reserves,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5483, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier Jeanne & Romain Rancière, 2011.
"The Optimal Level of International Reserves For Emerging Market Countries: A New Formula and Some Applications,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(555), pages 905-930, 09.
- Jeanne, Olivier & Rancière, Romain, 2008. "The Optimal Level of International Reserves For Emerging Market Countries: A New Formula and Some Applications," CEPR Discussion Papers 6723, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ben-Bassat, Avraham & Gottlieb, Daniel, 1992. "On the Effect of Opportunity Cost on International Reserve Holdings," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(2), pages 329-32, May.
- Haile, Fasika & Pozo, Susan, 2008. "Currency crisis contagion and the identification of transmission channels," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 572-588, October.
- Olivier Jeanne, 2007. "International Reserves in Emerging Market Countries: Too Much of a Good Thing?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 38(1), pages 1-80.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joshua Aizenman & Jaewoo Lee, 2005. "International Reserves; Precautionary vs. Mercantilist Views, Theory, and Evidence," IMF Working Papers 05/198, International Monetary Fund.
- Christian B. Mulder & Matthieu BussiÃ¨re, 1999. "External Vulnerability in Emerging Market Economies; How High Liquidity Can offset Weak Fundamentals and the Effects of Contagion," IMF Working Papers 99/88, International Monetary Fund.
- M. Nowak & Ketil Hviding & Luca Antonio Ricci, 2004. "Can Higher Reserves Help Reduce Exchange Rate Volatility?," IMF Working Papers 04/189, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul Krugman & Julio Rotemberg, 1990. "Target Zones with Limited Reserves," NBER Working Papers 3418, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ferhan Salman & Mali Chivakul & Ricardo Llaudes, 2010. "The Impact of the Great Recessionon Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 10/237, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000094:010982. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.