A Regional Economic Policy For Colombia
This paper proposes a framework for a regional economic policy in Colombia. The regional characteristics and disparities of the country are studied, and regional disparities are shown to be both significant and persistent over time. This calls for a policy initiative to promote the development of the poorer regions of the country. The study here draws lessons from other cases of regional economic policy, and proposes a framework based on the regional policy initiative that is currently being implemented in Brazil.
|Date of creation:||30 Nov 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raffaele Paci & Francesco Pigliaru, 1999.
"Growth and sectoral dynamics in the Italian regions,"
in: Economic Growth and Change, chapter 12
- R. Paci & F. Pigliaru, 1998. "Growth and sectoral dynamics in the Italian regions," Working Paper CRENoS 199803, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Treyz, George I & Friedlaender, Ann F & Stevens, Benjamin H, 1980. "The Employment Sector of a Regional Policy Simulation Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(1), pages 63-73, February.
- Faini, Riccardo & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1987. "Incentives and Investment Decisions: The Effectiveness of Regional Policy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(3), pages 516-33, September.
- Pranab Bardhan, 1997. "Corruption and Development: A Review of Issues," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1320-1346, September.
- Teresa Garcia-Milà & Therese J. McGuire, 1996.
"Do interregional transfers improve the economic performance of poor regions? The case of Spain,"
Economics Working Papers
207, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Teresa Garcia-Milà & Therese McGuire, 2001. "Do Interregional Transfers Improve the Economic Performance of Poor Regions? The Case of Spain," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 281-296, May.
- BAUMONT, Catherine & ERTUR, Cem & LE GALLO, Julie, 2001. "A Spatial Econometric Analysis of Geographic Spillovers and Growth for European Regions, 1980-1995," LATEC - Document de travail - Economie (1991-2003) 2001-04, LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS UMR 5118, Université de Bourgogne.
- Hart, R A & MacKay, D I, 1977. "Wage Inflation, Regional Policy and the Regional Earnings Structure," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 44(175), pages 267-81, August.
- Behrman, Jere R & Birdsall, Nancy, 1983. "The Quality of Schooling: Quantity Alone is Misleading," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 928-46, December.
- Bernard G. Funck & Lodovico Pizzati, 2003. "European Integration, Regional Policy, and Growth," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15144.
- Gerson Javier Perez & Peter Rowland, 2004.
"Regional economic policies. Four country cases,"
Colombian Economic Journal,
Academia Colombiana de Ciencias Economicas, Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Senora del Rosario, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Universidad de Antioquia, Universidad de los Andes, Universidad del Valle, Universidad Externado de Colombia, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, vol. 2(1), pages 81-120, November.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V. & Peter Rowland, 2004. "Regional Economic Policies:Four Country Cases," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003438, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V. & Peter Rowland, . "Regional Economic Policies: Four Country Cases," Borradores de Economia 301, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Shankar, Raja & Shah, Anwar, 2001. "Bridging the economic divide within nations : a scorecard on the performance of regional development policies in reducing regional income disparities," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2717, The World Bank.
- Michele Boldrin & Fabio Canova, 2001. "Inequality and convergence in Europe's regions: reconsidering European regional policies," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 205-253, 04.
- Ana Lamo, 2000. "On convergence empirics: same evidence for Spanish regions," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 24(3), pages 681-707, September.
- Tyler, Peter, 1980. "The Impact of Regional Policy on a Prosperous Region: The Experience of the West Midlands," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 151-62, March.
- Barbara Sianesi, 2002. "The returns to education: a review of the empirical macro-economic literature," IFS Working Papers W02/05, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Neri, F., 2001. "Schooling Quality and Economic Growth," Economics Working Papers wp01-06, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Barro, Robert J & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 223-51, April.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence Across States and Regions," Papers 629, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence," Papers 645, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Barro, Robert J. & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Convergence," Scholarly Articles 3451299, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Moore, Barry C & Rhodes, John, 1976. "Regional Economic Policy and the Movement of Manufacturing Firms to Development Areas," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(169), pages 17-31, February.
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1991.
"Convergence across States and Regions,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 107-182.
- Jaime Bonet Morón & Adolfo Meisel Roca, 1999. "La convergencia Regional en Colombia: una visión de largo plazo, 1926-1995," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÍA REGIONAL 002955, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Alfredo Del Monte & Antonio Acconcia, 2000. "Regional Development and Public Spending: The Case of Italy," STUDI ECONOMICI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2000(72).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000094:001931. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.