Regional Incentive Spending for European Regions
MARTIN R. (1998) Regional incentive spending for European regions, Reg. Studies 32, 527-536. This paper develops and evaluates two hypotheses concerning the regional distribution of European and national productive sector support between 1989 and 1993. While total EU regional policy expenditures were highest in peripheral areas, EU expenditures in support of the productive sector were much more evenly spread across peripheral and lagging regions of the EU. National regional incentives contributed further to an equalization of support levels across large parts of the Union. European and national productive sector support thus work at cross purposes and are unlikely to contribute to regional convergence. This paper concludes by recommending that state aid rules be tightened and that EU productive sector support be further spatially concentrated in order to promote regional convergence
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 32 (1998)
Issue (Month): 6 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRES20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bothe, Adrian & Hilgart, Reinhard & Krieger-Boden, Christiane & Lammers, Konrad & Soltwedel, Rüdiger, 1988. "Subventionssysteme und Wettbewerbsbedingungen in der EG: Theoretische Analysen und Fallbeispiele," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 446, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- John Bachtler & Sandra Taylor, 1996. "Regional Development Strategies in Objective 2 Regions: A Comparative Assessment," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(8), pages 723-732.
- Damien Neven & Claudine Gouymte, 1995.
"Regional Convergence in the European Community,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(1), pages 47-65, 03.
- Gouyette, Claudine & Neven, Damien J, 1994. "Regional Convergence in the European Community," CEPR Discussion Papers 914, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Damien NEVEN & Claudine GOUYETTE, 1993. "Regional Convergence in the European Comunity," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9311, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
- Krieger-Boden, Christiane & Lammers, Konrad, 1996. "Subventionsabbau in räumlicher Perspektive: Wirkungszusammenhänge und Schlußfolgerungen," Kiel Discussion Papers 280, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1991.
"Convergence across States and Regions,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 107-182.
- Faini, Riccardo & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1987. "Incentives and Investment Decisions: The Effectiveness of Regional Policy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(3), pages 516-533, September.
- Barro, Robert J & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 223-251, April.
- Barro, Robert J. & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Convergence," Scholarly Articles 3451299, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence," Papers 645, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence Across States and Regions," Papers 629, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:regstd:v:32:y:1998:i:6:p:527-536. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.