A Regional Economic Policy for Colombia
This paper proposes a framework for a regional economic policy in Colombia. The regional characteristics and disparities of the country are studied, and regional disparities are shown to be both significant and persistent over time. This calls for a policy initiative to promote the development of the poorer regions of the country. The studyhere draws lessons from other cases of the regional economic policy, and proposes a framework based on the regional policy initiative that is currently being implemented in Brazil.
Volume (Year): (2004)
Issue (Month): (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Paci & F. Pigliaru, 1998.
"Growth and sectoral dynamics in the Italian regions,"
Working Paper CRENoS
199803, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Raffaele Paci & Francesco Pigliaru, 1999. "Growth and sectoral dynamics in the Italian regions," Chapters, in: Economic Growth and Change, chapter 12 Edward Elgar.
- Pranab Bardhan, 1997. "Corruption and Development: A Review of Issues," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1320-1346, September.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V. & Peter Rowland, .
"Regional Economic Policies: Four Country Cases,"
Borradores de Economia
301, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Gerson Javier Perez & Peter Rowland, 2004. "Regional economic policies. Four country cases," Colombian Economic Journal, Academia Colombiana de Ciencias Economicas, Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Senora del Rosario, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Universidad de Antioquia, Universidad de los Andes, Universidad del Valle, Universidad Externado de Colombia, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, vol. 2(1), pages 81-120, November.
- Alfredo Del Monte & Antonio Acconcia, 2000. "Regional Development and Public Spending: The Case of Italy," STUDI ECONOMICI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2000(72).
- Faini, Riccardo & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1987. "Incentives and Investment Decisions: The Effectiveness of Regional Policy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(3), pages 516-33, September.
- Neri, F., 2001. "Schooling Quality and Economic Growth," Economics Working Papers wp01-06, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Hart, R A & MacKay, D I, 1977. "Wage Inflation, Regional Policy and the Regional Earnings Structure," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 44(175), pages 267-81, August.
- Treyz, George I & Friedlaender, Ann F & Stevens, Benjamin H, 1980. "The Employment Sector of a Regional Policy Simulation Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(1), pages 63-73, February.
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1991.
"Convergence across States and Regions,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 107-182.
- Jaime Bonet Morón & Adolfo Meisel Roca, 1999. "La convergencia Regional en Colombia: una visión de largo plazo, 1926-1995," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÍA REGIONAL 002955, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Barro, Robert J & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 223-51, April.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence," Papers 645, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence Across States and Regions," Papers 629, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Barro, Robert J. & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Convergence," Scholarly Articles 3451299, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- BAUMONT, Catherine & ERTUR, Cem & LE GALLO, Julie, 2001. "A Spatial Econometric Analysis of Geographic Spillovers and Growth for European Regions, 1980-1995," LATEC - Document de travail - Economie (1991-2003) 2001-04, LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS UMR 5118, Université de Bourgogne.
- Barbara Sianesi, 2002. "The returns to education: a review of the empirical macro-economic literature," IFS Working Papers W02/05, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Teresa Garcia-Milà & Therese McGuire, 2001.
"Do Interregional Transfers Improve the Economic Performance of Poor Regions? The Case of Spain,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 281-296, May.
- Teresa Garcia-Milà & Therese J. McGuire, 1996. "Do interregional transfers improve the economic performance of poor regions? The case of Spain," Economics Working Papers 207, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ana Lamo, 2000. "On convergence empirics: same evidence for Spanish regions," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 24(3), pages 681-707, September.
- Shankar, Raja & Shah, Anwar, 2001. "Bridging the economic divide within nations : a scorecard on the performance of regional development policies in reducing regional income disparities," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2717, The World Bank.
- Behrman, Jere R & Birdsall, Nancy, 1983. "The Quality of Schooling: Quantity Alone is Misleading," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 928-46, December.
- Bernard G. Funck & Lodovico Pizzati, 2003. "European Integration, Regional Policy, and Growth," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15144.
- Tyler, Peter, 1980. "The Impact of Regional Policy on a Prosperous Region: The Experience of the West Midlands," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 151-62, March.
- Moore, Barry C & Rhodes, John, 1976. "Regional Economic Policy and the Movement of Manufacturing Firms to Development Areas," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(169), pages 17-31, February.
- Michele Boldrin & Fabio Canova, 2001. "Inequality and convergence in Europe's regions: reconsidering European regional policies," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 205-253, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000151:001932. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paola Villalobos)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.