A Country for Old Men? An Analysis of the Determinants of Long-Term Home Care in Europe
This paper investigates long-term home care utilisation in Europe. Data from SHARE on formal (nursing care or paid domestic help) and informal care (support provided by relatives) are used to study the probability and the quantity of both types of care being received. The overall process is framed in a fully simultaneous equation system which takes the form of a bivariate two-part model. Endogeneity and unobservable heterogeneity are addressed using a common latent factors approach. Age, disability and proximity-to-death are found to be important joint predictors of home care utilisation. The relationship between formal and informal care is small in absolute size and moves from substitutability to complementarity depending on the type of formal care considered.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via S. Giorgio 12, I-09124 Cagliari|
Web page: http://www.crenos.unica.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Van Houtven, Courtney Harold & Norton, Edward C., 2008. "Informal care and Medicare expenditures: Testing for heterogeneous treatment effects," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 134-156, January.
- Matteo Lippi Bruni & Cristina Ugolini, 2006. "A Note on the Choice between Formal and Informal Care for Elderly People," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 142(V), pages 85-90.
- de Meijer, Claudine & Koopmanschap, Marc & d' Uva, Teresa Bago & van Doorslaer, Eddy, 2011. "Determinants of long-term care spending: Age, time to death or disability?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 425-438, March.
- Young Kyung Do & Edward C. Norton & Sally C. Stearns & Courtney Harold Van Houtven, 2015.
"Informal Care and Caregiver's Health,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(2), pages 224-237, 02.
- Young Kyung Do & Edward C. Norton & Sally Stearns & Courtney H. Van Houtven, 2013. "Informal Care and Caregiver's Health," NBER Working Papers 19142, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lippi Bruni Matteo & Ugolini Cristina, 2006. "Assistenza a domicilio e assistenza residenziale: politiche di intervento e analisi empirica," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 241-268. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)