The Current Eurozone – an impediment to critical French reform
France currently needs deep structural reforms to boost competitiveness; but such reforms seem impossible while France remains in the straitjacket of the rules-bound transfer union that is the current Eurozone. High outstanding sovereign debt coupled with almost zero economic growth pose a real challenge to the French economy saved only by the relatively low government bond yield but this is subject to market swings. An unacceptably large proportion of the French workforce is trapped in long-term unemployment with the most affected part of the population being the young and older workers suffering from long term unemployment because of the adverse incentives brought about by a social safety net financed by taxing labour.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: +44-(0)20-7882-3167|
Web page: http://www.busman.qmul.ac.uk/research/cgr/index.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Weisbrot & Rebecca Ray, 2011. "Latvia's Internal Devaluation: A Success Story?," CEPR Reports and Issue Briefs 2011-25, Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR).
- Balázs Égert, 2011.
"Bringing French Public Debt Down: The Options for Fiscal Consolidation,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
858, OECD Publishing.
- Balazs Egert, 2012. "Bringing French Public Debt Down: The Options for Fiscal Consolidation," CESifo Working Paper Series 3928, CESifo Group Munich.
- Michael D. Bordo & Lars Jonung & Agnieszka Markiewicz, 2013.
"A Fiscal Union for the Euro: Some Lessons from History ,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 59(3), pages 449-488, September.
- Michael D. Bordo & Agnieszka Markiewicz & Lars Jonung, 2011. "A Fiscal Union for the Euro: Some Lessons from History," NBER Working Papers 17380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Vincent R. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2012.
"Debt Overhangs: Past and Present,"
NBER Working Papers
18015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Vincent R. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2012. "Public Debt Overhangs: Advanced-Economy Episodes since 1800," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 69-86, Summer.
- Philip R. Lane, 2012. "The European Sovereign Debt Crisis," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 49-68, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cgs:wpaper:42. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pedro S. Martins)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.