La répression financière est-elle la solution pour « liquider » la dette publique dans la zone euro ?
The recent rise of the public debt limits governments’ room for manoeuvre in terms of economic policy and it seems urgent to try to slow down its progression. This paper shows that even if financial repression appears as an appealing solution for the so called peripheral countries of the euro area, it is not without creating concerns from a macro-financial point of view.
|Date of creation:||14 Jan 2013|
|Publication status:||Published by:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CP114/03, 42 avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 1050 Bruxelles|
Phone: +32 (0)2 650.48.64
Fax: +32 (0)2 650.41.88
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, C. M., 2012.
"The return of financial repression,"
Financial Stability Review,
Banque de France, issue 16, pages 37-48, April.
- Reinhart, Carmen M., 2012. "The Return of Financial Repression," CEPR Discussion Papers 8947, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mauricio Drelichman & Hans-Joachim Voth, 2008. "Debt Sustainability in Historical Perspective: The Role of Fiscal Repression," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 6(2-3), pages 657-667, 04-05.
- Joachim Voth & Mauricio Drelichman, 2008. "Debt sustainability in historical perspective: The role of fiscal repression," Economics Working Papers 1184, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Vincent R. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2012. "Public Debt Overhangs: Advanced-Economy Episodes since 1800," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 69-86, Summer.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Vincent R. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2012. "Debt Overhangs: Past and Present," NBER Working Papers 18015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "Varieties of Crises and Their Dates," Introductory Chapters,in: This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8973, 09-2014.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2009. "The Second Great Contraction," MPRA Paper 21485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yiannis Kitromilides, 2011. "Deficit reduction, the age of austerity, and the paradox of insolvency," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 33(3), pages 517-536, April.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & M. Belen Sbrancia1, 2015. "The liquidation of government debt," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 30(82), pages 291-333.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2011. "The Liquidation of Government Debt," BIS Working Papers 363, Bank for International Settlements.
- Carmen Reinhart & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2015. "The Liquidation of Government Debt," IMF Working Papers 15/7, International Monetary Fund.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2011. "The Liquidation of Government Debt," NBER Working Papers 16893, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2011. "The Liquidation of Government Debt," Working Paper Series WP11-10, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Ashoka Mody & Damiano Sandri, 2012. "The eurozone crisis: how banks and sovereigns came to be joined at the hip," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 27(70), pages 199-230, 04.
- Damiano Sandri & Ashoka Mody, 2011. "The Eurozone Crisis; How Banks and Sovereigns Came to Be Joined At the Hip," IMF Working Papers 11/269, International Monetary Fund.
- Reinhart, Karmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. ""This time is different": panorama of eight centuries of financial crises," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 77-114, March.
- Adrian Blundell-Wignall & Patrick Slovik, 2011. "A Market Perspective on the European Sovereign Debt and Banking Crisis," OECD Journal: Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2010(2), pages 9-36.
- Nicolas Véron, 2012. "Financial reform after the crisis: an early assessment," Working Papers 680, Bruegel.
- Nicolas Veron, 2012. "Financial Reform after the Crisis: An Early Assessment," Working Paper Series WP12-2, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Garrick Hileman, 2012. "The seven mechanisms for achieving sovereign debt sustainability," Economic History Working Papers 42878, London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of Economic History.
- Philip R. Lane, 2012. "The European Sovereign Debt Crisis," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 49-68, Summer. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sol:wpaper:2013/137476. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.