Policies and Institutions for Moderating Deep Recessions, Debt Crises and Financial Instabilities
This paper outlines a long-term policy and institutional framework for reducing the intensity of recessions, debt crises and financial instabilities, especially for the Core nations and areas that bore the brunt of the anomalies during 2008-2013. We argue that institutional changes need to be systemic, amounting to the construction of a new social structure of accumulation (SSA) or mode of regulation (MOR), which we call an SSA of embedded communitarian liberalism. Five institutional spheres are introduced which are in need of systemic change, due to the entrenched contradictions and problems which the current set of institutions generate. These involve firstly institutions within the world-system of finance and production; secondly relating to finance versus industry; thirdly capital versus labor; fourthly state systems of production; and fifthly the interlinking of state, community and ecology.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angelos A. Antzoulatos, 2012. "Policy Responses to the European Debt Crisis Treating the â€œSymptomsâ€ or the â€œDiseaseâ€ ?," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 59(5), pages 529-552, December.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & André Meier & Gernot J. Müller, 2012.
"What determines government spending multipliers?,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 27(72), pages 521-565, October.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Meier, André & Müller, Gernot, 2012. "What Determines Government Spending Multipliers?," CEPR Discussion Papers 9010, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gernot MÃ¼ller & Andre Meier & Giancarlo Corsetti, 2012. "What Determines Government Spending Multipliers?," IMF Working Papers 12/150, International Monetary Fund.
- Heller, Patrick, 1996. "Social capital as a product of class mobilization and state intervention: Industrial workers in Kerala, India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1055-1071, June.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Does public capital crowd out private capital?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 171-188, September.
- Stephan Schulmeister, . "Globalization Without Global Money. The Double Role of the Dollar as National Currency and as World Currency and its Consequences," WIFO Working Papers 106, WIFO.
- Carola Frydman & Raven E. Saks, 2007.
"Executive compensation: a new view from a long-term perspective, 1936-2005,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2007-35, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carola Frydman & Raven E. Saks, 2010. "Executive Compensation: A New View from a Long-Term Perspective, 1936--2005," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(5), pages 2099-2138.
- Carola Frydman & Raven E. Saks, 2008. "Executive Compensation: A New View from a Long-Term Perspective, 1936-2005," NBER Working Papers 14145, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- O'Hara, Phillip Anthony, 2009. "Political economy of climate change, ecological destruction and uneven development," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 223-234, December.
- Samuel Bowles & Herbert Gintis, 2001.
"Social Capital and Community Governance,"
01-01-003, Santa Fe Institute.
- Nikolaos Karagiannis & Zagros Madjd-Sadjadi, 2012. "A New Economic Strategy for the USA: A Framework of Alternative Development Notions," Forum for Social Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(2-3), pages 131-165, July.
- Angelo Reati & Jan Toporowski, 2004. "An economic policy for the fifth long wave," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 57(231), pages 395-437.
- Nigel James Miller & Christopher Tsoukis, 2001. "On the optimality of public capital for long-run economic growth: evidence from panel data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(9), pages 1117-1129.
- Philip R. Lane, 2012. "The European Sovereign Debt Crisis," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 49-68, Summer.
- Nikiforos Laopodis, 2001. "Effects of government spending on private investment," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(12), pages 1563-1577.
- L. Randall Wray, 2012. "Global Financial Crisis: A Minskyan Interpretation of the Causes, the Fed's Bailout, and the Future," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_711, Levy Economics Institute.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Vincent R. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2012.
"Public Debt Overhangs: Advanced-Economy Episodes since 1800,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 69-86, Summer.
- Michael Holz, 2007. "Asset-Based Reserve Requirements: A New Monetary Policy Instrument for Targeting Diverging Real Estate Prices in the Euro Area," European Journal of Economics and Economic Policies: Intervention, Edward Elgar Publishing, vol. 4(2), pages 331-351.
- Angelo Reati & Jan Toporowski, 2009.
"An economic policy for the fifth long wave,"
PSL Quarterly Review,
Economia civile, vol. 62(248-251), pages 143-186.
- Stephan Schulmeister, 2000. "Globalization without Global Money: The Double Role of the Dollar as National Currency and World Currency," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 22(3), pages 365-395, April.
- repec:ums:papers:2012-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- William M. Dugger, 2010. "Progressive Alternatives To Re-Regulation," Journal of Economic Issues, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 44(2), pages 441-448, June.
- Kosta Josifidis & Alpar LoÅ¡onc, 2012. "Value and Power in Economics," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 59(4), pages 501-519, September.
- Dimitris Paitaridis & Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 2012. "The Growth of Unproductive Activities, the Rate of Profit, and the Phase-Change of the U.S. Economy," Review of Radical Political Economics, Union for Radical Political Economics, vol. 44(2), pages 213-233, June.
- Gore, Charles, 2000. "The Rise and Fall of the Washington Consensus as a Paradigm for Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 789-804, May.
- Reynold F. Nesiba, 2013. "Do Institutionalists and post-Keynesians share a common approach to Modern Monetary Theory (MMT)?," European Journal of Economics and Economic Policies: Intervention, Edward Elgar Publishing, vol. 10(1), pages 44-60.
- Paul Davidson, 2004. "The future of the international financial system," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 26(4), pages 591-605, October.
- Thomas Palley, 2004. "Asset-based reserve requirements: reasserting domestic monetary control in an era of financial innovation and instability," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 43-58.
- Angelo Reati & Jan Toporowski, 2004. "An economic policy for the fifth long wave," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 57(231), pages 395-437.
- James Tobin, 1978.
"A Proposal for International Monetary Reform,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Eastern Economic Association, vol. 4(3-4), pages 153-159, Jul/Oct.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:voj:journl:v:60:y:2013:i:1:p:19-49. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivana Horvat)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.