Corporate Governance, Ownership Structures and Investment in Transition Economies: the Case of Russia, Ukraine and Kyrgyzstan
In this paper we analyze interrelations between ownership structures, corporate governance and investment in three transition countries: Russia, Ukraine and Kyrgyzstan. In contrast to most empirical papers on corporate governance, we study companies with very little exposure to public financial markets. Our empirical analysis is based on two years of data obtained through large-scale surveys of firms. Ukrainian companies appear to have the best corporate governance practices, while Russian companies – the worst. We find that the relationship between ownership concentration and corporate governance is non-linear. In Russia, the relationship between the share of the largest non-state shareholder and corporate governance is either positive or insignificant when the blockholder’s stake is below a certain threshold; however, a further increase in the blockholder’ share is associated with worsening corporate governance. We find a similar effect in Ukraine, but only for managerial ownership. In both countries, corporate governance improves as the combined share of small shareholders grows. No robust effects of the ownership structure are found for Kyrgyz firms. Further we show that the market for corporate control seems to have little relationship to the firms’ corporate governance practices. We find no link between the quality of corporate governance and either the need for outside finance or actual investments financed with outside funds in either of the three countries.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +7 (495) 105 50 02
Fax: +7 (495) 105 50 03
Web page: http://www.cefir.ru
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Igor Filatotchev & Natalia Isachenkova & Tomasz Mickiewicz, 2007. "Ownership structure and investment finance in transition economies," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 15, pages 433-460, 07.
- Black, Bernard S. & Jang, Hasung & Kim, Woochan, 2006. "Predicting firms' corporate governance choices: Evidence from Korea," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 660-691, June.
- Paul Gompers & Joy Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2003.
"Corporate Governance And Equity Prices,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 118(1), pages 107-155, February.
- Paul A. Gompers & Joy L. Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2002. "Corporate Governance and Equity Prices," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-32, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Paul A. Gompers & Joy L. Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2001. "Corporate Governance and Equity Prices," NBER Working Papers 8449, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Igor Filatotchev & Rostislav Kapelyushnikov & Natalya Dyomina & Sergey Aukutsionek, 2001. "The effects of ownership concentration on investment and performance in privatized firms in Russia," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(6), pages 299-313.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995.
"A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Doidge, Craig & Karolyi, G. Andrew & Stulz, Rene M., 2004.
"Why Do Countries Matter So Much for Corporate Governance?,"
Working Paper Series
2004-16, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Doidge, Craig & Andrew Karolyi, G. & Stulz, Rene M., 2007. "Why do countries matter so much for corporate governance?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 1-39, October.
- Rene M. Stulz & Craig Doidge & Andrew Karolyi, 2004. "Why Do Countries Matter So Much for Corporate Governance?," NBER Working Papers 10726, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucian Arye Bebchuk, 1999. "A Rent-Protection Theory of Corporate Ownership and Control," NBER Working Papers 7203, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Henry G. Manne, 1965. "Mergers and the Market for Corporate Control," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 110.
- Bernard S. Black & Inessa Love & Andrei Rachinsky, 2005. "Corporate Governance and Firms' Market Values: Time Series Evidence from Russia," Working Papers w0053, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Klapper, Leora F. & Love, Inessa, 2002.
"Corporate governance, investor protection, and performance in emerging markets,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2818, The World Bank.
- Klapper, Leora F. & Love, Inessa, 2004. "Corporate governance, investor protection, and performance in emerging markets," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 703-728, November.
- Henry G. Manne, 1965. "Mergers and the Market for Corporate Control," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 351.
- Sergei Guriev & Olga Lazareva & Andrei Rachinsky & Sergei Tsukhlo, 2004. "Corporate Governance in Russian Industry," Problems of Economic Transition, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 47(3), pages 6-83, July.
- Sanjeev Bhojraj & Partha Sengupta, 2003. "Effect of Corporate Governance on Bond Ratings and Yields: The Role of Institutional Investors and Outside Directors," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76(3), pages 455-476, July.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, .
"Law and Finance,"
19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Bernard S. Black & Hasung Jang & Woochan Kim, 2006. "Does Corporate Governance Predict Firms' Market Values? Evidence from Korea," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(2), pages 366-413, October.
- Stijn Claessens, 2006. "Corporate Governance and Development," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 21(1), pages 91-122.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfr:cefirw:w0119. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia Babich)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.