Optimal Pricing of Public Lotteries and Comparison of Competing Mechanisms
The negative effects of price controls on consumer surplus in competitive markets are well known. But what of consumer surplus if supply is fixed, as with rival but otherwise non-excludable goods held in public trust? This paper establishes optimal pricing rules for rationing indivisible units of such goods by lottery or mixture of a lottery and auction. The solution to the pricing problem appears in classic inverse elasticity form that may be directly implemented. Analysis of a rich class of private value distributions indicates the optimal lottery yields sizable gains in expected consumer surplus over competitive pricing and zero pricing.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 161400, Orlando, FL 32816|
Phone: (407) 823-3266
Web page: http://business.ucf.edu/degree/bachelors-sciences-business-administration/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kahneman, Daniel & Knetsch, Jack L & Thaler, Richard H, 1986. "Fairness and the Assumptions of Economics," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(4), pages S285-300, October.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Erzo F. P. Luttmer, 2003.
"The Misallocation of Housing Under Rent Control,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1027-1046, September.
- Lucas W. Davis & Lutz Kilian, 2008.
"The Allocative Cost of Price Ceilings in the U.S. Residential Market for Natural Gas,"
NBER Working Papers
14030, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucas W. Davis & Lutz Kilian, 2011. "The Allocative Cost of Price Ceilings in the U.S. Residential Market for Natural Gas," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 119(2), pages 212 - 241.
- Scrogin, David, 2005. "Lottery-rationed public access under alternative tariff arrangements: changes in quality, quantity, and expected utility," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 189-211, July.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Anthony J. Pellechio, 1978. "The Two-Part Tariff and Voluntary Market Participation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 92(4), pages 571-587.
- Jeremy Bulow & Paul Klemperer, 2012.
"Regulated Prices, Rent-Seeking, and Consumer Surplus,"
2012-W03, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Jeremy Bulow & Paul Klemperer, 2012. "Regulated Prices, Rent Seeking, and Consumer Surplus," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 120(1), pages 160 - 186.
- Paul Klemperer & Jeremy Bulow, 2012. "Regulated Prices, Rent-Seeking, and Consumer Surplus," Economics Series Working Papers 595, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Leslie E. Papke & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1993.
"Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(k) Plan Participation Rates,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Papke, Leslie E & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1996. "Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(K) Plan Participation Rates," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 619-32, Nov.-Dec..
- Tobin, James, 1970. "On Limiting the Domain of Inequality," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(2), pages 263-77, October.
- Condorelli, Daniele, 2012. "What money canʼt buy: Efficient mechanism design with costly signals," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 613-624.
- Evans, Mary F. & Vossler, Christian A. & Flores, Nicholas E., 2009. "Hybrid allocation mechanisms for publicly provided goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1-2), pages 311-325, February.
- Winston Koh & Zhenlin Yang & Lijing Zhu, 2006. "Lottery Rather than Waiting-line Auction," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 27(2), pages 289-310, October.
- Buschena, David E. & Anderson, Terry L. & Leonard, Jerry L., 2001. "Valuing Non-Marketed Goods: The Case of Elk Permit Lotteries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 33-43, January.
- Taylor, Grant A. & Tsui, Kevin K. K. & Zhu, Lijing, 2003. "Lottery or waiting-line auction?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(5-6), pages 1313-1334, May.
- Mumy, Gene E & Hanke, Steve H, 1975. "Public Investment Criteria for Underpriced Public Products," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(4), pages 712-20, September.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Margolis, Michael & Koo, Cannon & List, John A., 2001. "A random nth-price auction," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 409-421, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfl:wpaper:2012-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John Paul)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.