Barter, Liquidity and Market Segmentation
This paper explores the private and social benefits from barter exchange in a monetized economy. We first prove a no-trade theorem regarding the ability of firms with double-coincidences-of-wants to negotiate improvements in trade among themselves relative to the market outcomes. We then demonstrate that in the presence of liquidity shocks, introducing a non-monetary exchange avoids this limitation and enhances trade by (1) generating liquidity and (2) by segmenting the market place into low-demand and high-demand customers in a manner which is impossible with pure monetary exchange. We provide comparative statics illustrating the importance of each effect and relevant extensions.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1989. "On Money as a Medium of Exchange," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 927-54, August.
- Sudipto Bhattacharya and Kathleen Hagerty., 1984. "Dealerships, Trading Externalities, and General Equilibrium," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 143, University of California at Berkeley.
- Ellingsen, Tore & Stole, Lars A., 1996. "Mandated countertrade as a strategic commitment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 67-84, February.
- Aiyagari, S Rao & Wallace, Neil, 1992. "Fiat Money in the Kiyotaki-Wright Model," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 447-64, October.
- Ariel Rubinstein & Asher Wolinsky, 1987. "Middlemen," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 102(3), pages 581-593.
- Biais, Bruno & Gollier, Christian, 1997. "Trade Credit and Credit Rationing," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(4), pages 903-37.
- Prendergast, Canice & Stole, Lars, 1999. "Restricting the means of exchange within organizations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 1007-1019, April.
- Canice Prendergast & Lars A. Stole, 1996. "Non-Monetary Exchange Within Firms and Industry," NBER Working Papers 5765, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. Preston McAfee & John McMillan & Michael D. Whinston, 1989. "Multiproduct Monopoly, Commodity Bundling, and Correlation of Values," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 104(2), pages 371-383.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, .
"Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence,"
CRSP working papers
322, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Maskin, Eric & Tirole, Jean, 1992. "The Principal-Agent Relationship with an Informed Principal, II: Common Values," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 1-42, January.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1993. "A Search-Theoretic Approach to Monetary Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 63-77, March.
- Williamson, Steve & Wright, Randall, 1994.
"Barter and Monetary Exchange under Private Information,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 104-23, March.
- Williamson, S. & Wright, R., 1991. "Barter and Monetary Exchange Under Private Information," University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations Working Papers 9107, University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations.
- Stephen D. Williamson & Randall Wright, 1991. "Barter and monetary exchange under private information," Staff Report 141, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Roger B. Myerson, 1981.
"Efficient and Durable Decision Rules with Incomplete Information,"
495, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Myerson, Roger B, 1983. "Efficient and Durable Decision Rules with Incomplete Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1799-819, November.
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & John Moore, 1997. "Credit Chains," ESE Discussion Papers 118, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Bose, Gautam, 1996. "Bargaining Economies with Patient and Impatient Agents: Equilibria and Intermediation," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 149-172, June.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1991.
"A contribution to the pure theory of money,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 215-235, April.
- Hennart, Jean-Francois & Anderson, Erin, 1993. "Countertrade and the Minimization of Transaction Costs: An Empirical Examination," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(2), pages 290-313, October.
- Marin, Dalia & Schnitzer, Monika, 1995. "Tying Trade Flows: A Theory of Countertrade with Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1047-64, December.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1981.
"Mechanism Design by an Informed Principal,"
481, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Morris, Stephen, 1994. "Trade with Heterogeneous Prior Beliefs and Asymmetric Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1327-47, November.
- Ellingsen, Tore, 1998. "Payments in Kind," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 244, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 10 Feb 2000.
- Hennart, Jean-Francois, 1989. "The Transaction-Cost Rationale for Countertrade," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(1), pages 127-53, Spring.
- Prendergast, Canice & Stole, Lars, 2000. "Barter relationships," MPRA Paper 33400, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_586. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.