Cooperative and Non-Cooperative Equilibrium Consumption Taxes in the Presence of Cross-Border Pollution
We consider a two small open economies model with cross-border pollution that is generated from consumption. Within this framework we examine i) the non-cooperative equilibrium consumption taxes and compare them to when pollution is only local, ii) the cooperative equilibrium consumption taxes and we compare them to the non-cooperative tax rates, and iii) cases where cooperative taxes are different between countries. In this framework, tax harmonization may not be the optimal policy if, for example, pollution per unit of consumption differ between countries. Many results of the paper depend on the relationship in consumption (i.e., complementarity or substitutability) between pollution and the polluting good.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael, Michael S. & Hatzipanayotou, Panos & Miller, Stephen M., 1993. "Integrated reforms of tariffs and consumption taxes," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 417-428, October.
- M. Shahe Emran & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2002.
"On Selective Indirect Tax Reform in Developing Countries,"
- Emran, M. Shahe & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2005. "On selective indirect tax reform in developing countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(4), pages 599-623, April.
- Georgakopoulos, T & Hitiris, T, 1992. "On the Superiority of the Destination over the Origin Principle of Taxation for Intra-union Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(410), pages 117-26, January.
- Copeland Brian R., 1994. "International Trade and the Environment: Policy Reform in a Polluted Small Open Economy," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 44-65, January.
- Sikdar, Shiva & Lapan, Harvey E., 2008.
"Strategic Environmental Policy Under Free Trade with Transboundary Pollution,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
12931, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Harvey E. Lapan & Shiva Sikdar, 2011. "Strategic Environmental Policy under Free Trade with Transboundary Pollution," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 1-18, 02.
- Lapan, Harvey E. & Sikdar, Shiva, 2010. "Strategic environmental policy under free trade with transboundary pollution," 2010 Conference (54th), February 10-12, 2010, Adelaide, Australia 59160, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Lapan, Harvey E. & Sikdar, Shiva, 2007. "Strategic Environmental Policy Under Free Trade with Transboundary Pollution," Staff General Research Papers Archive 31298, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Werner Antweiler & Brian R. Copeland & M. Scott Taylor, 1998.
"Is Free Trade Good for the Environment?,"
NBER Working Papers
6707, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael S. Michael & Panos Hatzipanayotou, 2012.
"Pollution and Reforms of Domestic and Trade Taxes towards Uniformity,"
University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics
11-2012, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Michael Michael & Panos Hatzipanayotou, 2013. "Pollution and reforms of domestic and trade taxes towards uniformity," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 20(5), pages 753-768, October.
- John Beghin & David Roland-Holst & Dominique van der Mensbrugghe, 1997.
"Trade and Pollution Linkages: Piecemeal Reform and Optimal Intervention,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(2), pages 442-55, May.
- John Beghin & David Roland-Holst & Dominique van der Mensbrugghe, 1994. "Trade and Pollution Linkages: Piecemeal Reform and Optimal Intervention," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 99, OECD Publishing.
- Michael Keen & Jenny E Ligthart, 1999.
"Coordinating Tariff Reduction and Domestic Tax Reform,"
IMF Working Papers
99/93, International Monetary Fund.
- Keen, Michael & Ligthart, Jenny E., 2002. "Coordinating tariff reduction and domestic tax reform," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 489-507, March.
- Panos Hatzipanayotou & Sajal Lahiri & Michael S. Michael, 2005. "Reforms of Environmental Policies in the Presence of Cross-border Pollution and Public-Private Clean-up," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 107(2), pages 315-333, 06.
- Helmuth Cremer & Firouz Gahvari, 2005. "Environmental Taxation in Open Economies: Unilateralism or Partial Harmonization," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 72(2), pages 352–371, October.
- A. Bovenberg, 1994. "Destination- and origin-based taxation under international capital mobility," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 1(3), pages 247-273, October.
- Robin Boadway & Motohiro Sato, 2008.
"Optimal Tax Design and Enforcement with an Informal Sector,"
1168, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Robin Boadway & Motohiro Sato, 2009. "Optimal Tax Design and Enforcement with an Informal Sector," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 1-27, February.
- Diamond, Peter A & Mirrlees, James A, 1971. "Optimal Taxation and Public Production: I--Production Efficiency," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 8-27, March.
- Albrecht, Johan, 2006. "The use of consumption taxes to re-launch green tax reforms," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 88-103, March.
- Arja H. Turunen-Red & Alan D. Woodland, 2004. "Multilateral Reforms of Trade and Environmental Policy," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 321-336, 08.
- Sajal Lahiri & Anjum Nasim, 2005. "Commercial Policy Reform in Pakistan: Opening up the Economy under Revenue Constraints," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 12(6), pages 723-739, November.
- Atkinson, A. B. & Stiglitz, J. E., 1976. "The design of tax structure: Direct versus indirect taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 55-75.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_4501. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.