An Alternative Conditional Asymmetry Specification for Stock Returns
The paper advances the log-generalized gamma distribution as a suitable generator of conditional skewness. Based on the NYSE composite daily returns an asMA-asQGARCH model along with skewness dynamics is estimated. The results indicate a skewness that varies between sizeable negative skewness and almost symmetry. The conditional variance and skewness measures are negatively correlated.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brunner, Allan D, 1992.
"Conditional Asymmetries in Real GNP: A Seminonparametric Approach,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 10(1), pages 65-72, January.
- Allan D. Brunner, 1990. "Conditional asymmetries in real GNP: a semi-nonparametric approach," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 140, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kurt Brännäs & Jan G. de Gooijer, 2000.
"Asymmetries in Conditional Mean and Variance: Modelling Stock Returns by asMA-asQGARCH,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
00-049/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jan G. De Gooijer & Kurt Brännäs, 2004. "Asymmetries in conditional mean and variance: modelling stock returns by asMA-asQGARCH," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(3), pages 155-171.
- Brännäs, Kurt & de Gooijer, Jan G., 2000. "ASYMMETRIES IN CONDITIONAL MEAN AND VARIANCE: MODELLING STOCK RETURNS BY asMA-asQGARCH," Umeå Economic Studies 535, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Joseph Chen & Harrison Hong & Jeremy C. Stein, 2000.
"Forecasting Crashes: Trading Volume, Past Returns and Conditional Skewness in Stock Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
7687, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chen, Joseph & Hong, Harrison & Stein, Jeremy C., 2001. "Forecasting crashes: trading volume, past returns, and conditional skewness in stock prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 345-381, September.
- Harvey, Campbell R. & Siddique, Akhtar, 1999. "Autoregressive Conditional Skewness," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(04), pages 465-487, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_448. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.