Market Segmentation in Two-Sided Markets: TV Rights for Premier League
This paper analyzes market segmentation in a two-sided market that consists of media consumers and advertisers. The analysis is motivated by a European Court of Justice Decision in October 2011, which allowed viewers to take advantage of international price differences and buy access to Premier League TV matches from whichever country they like. We compare complete market segmentation with the new situation where consumers can purchase from abroad (allowing for passive sales). Clearly, such a change is likely to harm Premier League, which at present is sold at different prices to viewers in different countries. More surprisingly, we find that all viewers – including those that switch to purchasing from abroad - might also be harmed. We further show that the two-sidedness of the market may break down in the country that attracts foreign viewers.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeon, Doh-Shin & Jullien, Bruno & Klimenko, Mikhail, 2012.
"Language, Internet and Platform Competition: the case of Search Engine,"
IDEI Working Papers
742, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jeon, Doh-Shin & Jullien, Bruno & Klimenko, Mikhail M., 2012. "Language, Internet and Platform Competition: the case of Search Engine," CEPR Discussion Papers 9144, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeon, Doh-Shin & Jullien, Bruno & Klimenko, Mikhail, 2012. "Language, Internet and Platform Competition: the case of Search Engine," TSE Working Papers 12-336, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Qihong Liu & Konstantinos Serfes, 2007.
"Price Discrimination in Two-Sided Markets,"
07-25, NET Institute, revised Sep 2007.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2014.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Competition Policy International, vol. 10.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2003. " Chicken & Egg: Competition among Intermediation Service Providers," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(2), pages 309-28, Summer.
- Hans Jarle Kind & Tore Nilssen & Lars S�rgard, 2007.
"Competition for Viewers and Advertisers in a TV Oligopoly,"
Journal of Media Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 211-233.
- Hans Jarle Kind & Tore Nilssen & Lars Sørgard, 2006. "Competition for Viewers and Advertisers in a TV Oligopoly," CESifo Working Paper Series 1862, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jean J. Gabszewicz & Didier Laussel & Nathalie Sonnac, 2004. "Programming and Advertising Competition in the Broadcasting Industry," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 657-669, December.
- Hans Jarle Kind & Tore Nilssen & Lars Sørgard, 2009.
"Business Models for Media Firms: Does Competition Matter for how they Raise Revenue?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2713, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hans Jarle Kind & Tore Nilssen & Lars Sørgard, 2009. "Business Models for Media Firms: Does Competition Matter for How They Raise Revenue?," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(6), pages 1112-1128, 11-12.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002.
"Platform competition in two sided markets,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Varian, Hal R, 1985. "Price Discrimination and Social Welfare," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 870-75, September.
- E. Glen Weyl, 2010. "A Price Theory of Multi-sided Platforms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(4), pages 1642-72, September.
- Barros Pedro P & Kind Hans Jarle & Nilssen Tore & Sørgard Lars, 2005. "Media Competition on the Internet," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-20, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_4060. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.