Reciprocity, World Prices and Welfare
We examine in detail the circumstances under which reciprocity, as defined in Bagwell and Staiger (1999), leads to fixed world prices. We show that a change of tariffs satisfying reciprocity does not necessarily imply constant world prices in a world of many goods and countries. While it is possible to find tariff reforms that are consistent with both reciprocity and constant world prices, these reforms do not follow from the reciprocity condition, but rather from the requirement of unchanged world prices. We propose an alternative reciprocity rule that is guaranteed to raise the welfare of all countries, independently of whether world prices change and independently of the relative numbers of goods and countries.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Kennan & Raymond Riezman, 2013.
"Optimal Tariff Equilibria with Customs Unions,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: International Trade Agreements and Political Economy, chapter 5, pages 53-66
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis & Woodland, Alan D, 2002.
"Non-Preferential Trading Clubs,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3572, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis & Woodland , Alan D., 2006. "Non-Preferential Trading Clubs," Working Papers 06-2004, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Pascalis Raimondos-Møller & Alan D. Woodland, 2004. "Non-Preferential Trading Clubs," CESifo Working Paper Series 1145, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kemp, Murray C. & Wan, Henry Jr., 1976. "An elementary proposition concerning the formation of customs unions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 95-97, February.
- Blanchard, Emily J., 2010.
"Reevaluating the role of trade agreements: Does investment globalization make the WTO obsolete?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 63-72, September.
- Emily Blanchard, 2006. "Reevaluating the Role of Trade Agreements: Does Investment Globalization Make the WTO Obsolete?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1735, CESifo Group Munich.
- Turunen-Red, Arja H & Woodland, Alan D, 1991. "Strict Pareto-Improving Multilateral Reforms of Tariffs," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 1127-52, July.
- Grinols, Earl L. & Silva, Peri, 2003.
"An Enhancement of Modern Free Trade Area Theory,"
03-0104, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Bagwell,K. & Staiger,R.W., 1998.
"An economic theory of GATT,"
15, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2000. "Reciprocity Across Modes of Supply in the WTO: A Negotiating Formula," CEPR Discussion Papers 2481, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ralph Ossa, 2011. "A "New Trade" Theory of GATT/WTO Negotiations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 119(1), pages 122 - 152.
- Kowalczyk, Carsten & Sjostrom, Tomas, 2000. "Trade as transfers, GATT and the core," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 163-169, February.
- A. D. Woodland, 1980. "Direct and Indirect Trade Utility Functions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(5), pages 907-926.
- Paolo Epifani & Juliette Vitaloni, 2003.
"‘GATT-Think’ with Asymmetric Countries,"
KITeS Working Papers
141, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Mar 2003.
- W. E. Diewert & A. H. Turunen-Red & A. D. Woodland, 1989. "Productivity- and Pareto-Improving Changes in Taxes and Tariffs," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 56(2), pages 199-215.
- Ju, Jiandong & Krishna, Kala, 2000. "Welfare and market access effects of piecemeal tariff reform," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 305-316, August.
- Panagariya, Arvind & Krishna, Pravin, 2002. "On necessarily welfare-enhancing free trade areas," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 353-367, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_3607. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.